Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!
Learn more about the Taurus firearms here!Learn more about the Diamondback Firearms here!
Learn more about Heritage Manufactoring here!Learn more about the Rossi firearms here!
Visit Target Sports USA!Visit Stainless Steel Guide Rods!

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Consider this an official notice.Posting articles from other sites is fine if you follow 2 simple rules:1) Only post a small summary of the article.2) Include a link to the original content with summary.Failure to comply with the above will result in a warning. Repeated violations will result in you being banned.These days more and more original content is being placed directly on websites. In order to combat copyright protection and maintain ownership of content, sites are employing people to hunt down unauthorized repost and contacting those sites with warnings. Posting someone else's content harms them in several ways, most of all the circumventing of their sites and thus the loss of traffic. This is becoming more serious of an offense across the internet and lawsuits are becoming common. Understanding the simple rules posted above will not only help this site, but also those who are creating content. It will also keep you from being sued as this site is a 3rd party engine, meaning YOU are responsible for the copyright violation, not us. We will always abide by author requests to remove content.
See more
See less

Romanian SAR-1 first impressions and short review

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romanian SAR-1 first impressions and short review

I picked up a Romanian SAR-1 for $400 last week. For those that do not know, the SAR series of rifles were imported from Romania during the ban era. They were imported and Century then installed American parts for compliance. The SAR series does not come with muzzle threads or a bayonet lug, but overall has better fit and finish than the WASR, as well as a mil-spec receiver (with dimples).

The rifle I bought has all matching parts except for the gas tube, which is not a big deal in my opinion.

Picture of my SAR-1 along with my buddy's Romanian PSL and RPK:

Knowing CAI's reputation for canted sights, I shot a 4 round group at about 40 yards to see if my sights were on, and I got this:

I was very impressed! The sights were dead on. This was about a 2" group, and if I really put the gun to the test (Shooting at day time is nice when shooting irons), I would bet the gun is a 3-4 MOA gun.

Overall, I am VERY impressed with the SAR-1. I am going to have the barrel threaded locally so I can add a brake, and with that I feel this rifle will be far superior to the WASR-10. SAR-1's come up on private markets fairly regularly, and for the same price as a WASR they are an absolute steal in my opinion.

Here is a video of me mag dumping at night, it makes a nice little fireball without a flash hider :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0YSH...3&feature=plcp
    There is nothing better than the moment where the world closes in on you. It is just man, machine, and objective. You have to somehow find a way to control absolute chaos just long enough to get the job done. Seconds seem like minutes, and minutes seem like hours. Oh and try not to shoot the hostages next time.

good stuff!!my sar was the first romy ak i ever bought.....got it from a guy on another forum and we ended up being good friends...i debanned mine when i moved from ny to sc...i ended up selling it to get my aes10b(rpk)....got a good price for it,but i keep working on a different frined to sell me his

Comment

nice rifle halo, but don't undersell the wasr..thier reputation has really driven the prices down for used but, honestly my wasr has been as acurate and as reliable as my mak 90's and polytech legend..

Comment

Originally posted by mr.hankie View Post
        nice rifle halo, but don't undersell the wasr..thier reputation has really driven the prices down for used but, honestly my wasr has been as acurate and as reliable as my mak 90's and polytech legend..
        I have not owned a WASR, I was just comparing the two and stating the facts :) WASR's can be hit or miss in quality.
        There is nothing better than the moment where the world closes in on you. It is just man, machine, and objective. You have to somehow find a way to control absolute chaos just long enough to get the job done. Seconds seem like minutes, and minutes seem like hours. Oh and try not to shoot the hostages next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Halo05 View Post
          I have not owned a WASR, I was just comparing the two and stating the facts :) WASR's can be hit or miss in quality.
          my point exactly, untill you've actually had one it's kinda hard to compare..hit me up sometime and I'll be happy to let you try my wasr and compare it to my polytech and mak 90's
          I think you might be surprised...

Comment

i hear ya on the wasrs....they get put down but they are decent rifles if you can get one to look over...my buddy mike picked one up....its all #'s matching,originally built in 1971...only problem was the century idiots didnt put the pin in to hold the us gas piston...i had a spare carrier to lend him until i get the pin and drill for it

Comment

and as a matter of fact, me and chris are planning a trip to strickland on I think th 22nd if you'd like to join us halo.. I can bring my wasr and polytech. and chris is a wealth of knowledge on the ak..

Comment

i dont know nuthin!

Comment

Originally posted by mr.hankie View Post
                  and as a matter of fact, me and chris are planning a trip to strickland on I think th 22nd if you'd like to join us halo.. I can bring my wasr and polytech. and chris is a wealth of knowledge on the ak..
                  Thanks for the invite gents, but I am going to be tied up at church that day :(

I really love the AK47 for what it is - a crude gun that doesn't do anything exceptionally well, but it just runs and it is simple. My AR is still my go to gun for a few reasons, but I definitely have kalashnikovitis for the time being. I am dropping her off at Curry Thomas in Jax to have her threaded tomorrow! Past that I plan on adding a Beryl folding stock, a K-var polymer bottom handguard, ultimak gas tube rail, and a micro dot.
                  Last edited by Halo05; 01-07-2012, 02:49 AM.

Comment

How do you like the donkey dong grip?
                    I was never a fan of those Romy hand-guards, aside from that it looks like an awesome rifle.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                    Working...
                    X