Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!

Visit Standard Mfg. Co. LLC!Visit Target Sports USA!Learn more about Florida Gun Exchange here!See Remora holsters here!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time shooting my Mosin, and funny comparison with AK and AR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time shooting my Mosin, and funny comparison with AK and AR

So I shot my Mosin yesterday for the first time. Dang that thing kicks like an angry mule. I've got a bruise after about 40 rounds. Forgot my binoculars and don't own a spotting scope, so I couldn't really tell where I was hitting at 50 yrds.

Since this was just to check the rifle out, I didn't worry about it. Of course I was hitting 8 inches above my bull's eye at that short distance but it shot 6" groups for me with the surplus ammo (that's good for me with open sights).

I cleaned up with Windex and then my normal cleaning. I hope that works for the corrosive ammo.

This morning I came across this and had to laugh out loud and a few items:

http://www.mouseguns.com/compare.htm
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

That sure was a good write up on all three of them... Check with BangBang on the cleaning of them. He's into them old war rifles.. Good luck with it...
    The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his/her rifle.

Comment

I'm anxious to shoot the Swedish Mauser I got from Mr. Sir. It is to the Mosin as a Tag-Heuer is to a Casio G-shock. These surplus rifles sure are fun.

I have seller's remorse for letting my SKS go, but BangBang has that so it has a good home!
      YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

Comment

You will love that Swede!!!

Comment

I have been using Windex myself since I saw a number of people that use it...it is cheap and something already around the house. I then follow it up with a normal sort of Hoppes or Shooter's Choice cleaning and some Rem Oil or Baracade. I have checked mine several times over the course of several weeks and not seen any sort of hint at corrosion. I do always clean them as soon as I get home and try to be very thorough.

As far as the kick, I cannot speak highly enough about Limb Savers from Amazon! I can shoot my Mosin 80 rounds and my shoulder only feels like I have shot about 100 rounds of light trap loads from my 12 gauge! They really do work! I put one on the Mauser to and again, total comfort to shoot! They are about $30 but well worth it for any rifle! From what I have heard the replacement pads are still hard, but the Limb Saver has a soft gel-like feel to the end of them! Sorry...you would think I get a commission for selling them but for once, a product does really work as well as advertised! Enjoy your Mosin!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Limbsaver-Slip...ords=limbsaver
          Gun owners must unite in 2016 to defeat the Democratic agenda. ALL Gun Owners get out the vote!

Comment

i try to rotate my guns and rifles at the range but, i never go shooting without a mosin. yea , the're loud and hurt the shoulder but that's part of the fun. glenn

Comment

Mountain Man, thanks for the info. I looked at the limb saver online yesterday, just concerned I might get my man card pulled for using one. However, if you endorse it, it must be ok!

I can't wait to take it out again, but I'll bring some .22 to shoot in rotation.

Comment

Originally posted by rustytruck View Post
                Mountain Man, thanks for the info. I looked at the limb saver online yesterday, just concerned I might get my man card pulled for using one. However, if you endorse it, it must be ok!
                Just take a small dish towel, drape it over the Limb Saver on the butt of the gun to hide it, and tell everyone that it helps keep the gun from slipping...it will be our secret!!!!
                Gun owners must unite in 2016 to defeat the Democratic agenda. ALL Gun Owners get out the vote!

Comment

Stealth limbsaver ordered... It's to make it more comfortable for my son to shoot, really...

Comment

Originally posted by rustytruck View Post
                    Stealth limbsaver ordered... It's to make it more comfortable for my son to shoot, really...
                    I cannot say how that one is, because I ordered the 10545 Limbsaver. This other model is probably similar...but if not then try the other one too if you have more than one gun you might want to try this one. Good luck!

Comment

Which range do y'all shoot at?

Goshootingirc.com

Comment

Originally posted by mattm0812 View Post
                        Which range do y'all shoot at?
                        Shoot Straight on 301. A membership applies at all Shoot Straights in Florida and you get one free rental each year and 10% discount on non-gun/ammo products. 3 station 100 yard rifle/shotgun range. Targets are pragmatically sent down range to the exact range you want. Ranges have A/C so now it is much more comfortable. Then they have a dozen or so pistol bays. The only down side is that the rifle range is dark compared to outdoor shooting and it is louder. Also, with only 3 bays, it can be a long wait. Bring a handgun to kill some time till your rifle turn comes up! However, while many ranges close early in the day, SS is open till 8 pm. most days and is seven days a week!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Shoot Straight on 301. A membership applies at all Shoot Straights in Florida and you get one free rental each year and 10% discount on non-gun/ammo products. 3 station 100 yard rifle/shotgun range. Targets are pragmatically sent down range to the exact range you want. Ranges have A/C so now it is much more comfortable. Then they have a dozen or so pistol bays. The only down side is that the rifle range is dark compared to outdoor shooting and it is louder. Also, with only 3 bays, it can be a long wait. Bring a handgun to kill some time till your rifle turn comes up! However, while many ranges close early in the day, SS is open till 8 pm. most days and is seven days a week!
                          Same with Rusty? I know he's local to me and that's a pretty far ride.

Goshootingirc.com

Comment

Me too! I sold mine to Bang Bang!!

Comment

Limbsaver did the trick for my Mosin. Matt, Sebastian is probably your best bet. The drive isn't too bad since it's all highway.

Comment

There are currently 118 users online. 1 members and 117 guests.

Most users ever online was 769 at 10:54 AM on 04-13-2016.

Working...
                              X