Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!
Learn more about the Taurus firearms here!Learn more about the Diamondback Firearms here!
Learn more about Heritage Manufactoring here!Learn more about the Rossi firearms here!
Visit Target Sports USA!Visit Stainless Steel Guide Rods!

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Consider this an official notice.Posting articles from other sites is fine if you follow 2 simple rules:1) Only post a small summary of the article.2) Include a link to the original content with summary.Failure to comply with the above will result in a warning. Repeated violations will result in you being banned.These days more and more original content is being placed directly on websites. In order to combat copyright protection and maintain ownership of content, sites are employing people to hunt down unauthorized repost and contacting those sites with warnings. Posting someone else's content harms them in several ways, most of all the circumventing of their sites and thus the loss of traffic. This is becoming more serious of an offense across the internet and lawsuits are becoming common. Understanding the simple rules posted above will not only help this site, but also those who are creating content. It will also keep you from being sued as this site is a 3rd party engine, meaning YOU are responsible for the copyright violation, not us. We will always abide by author requests to remove content.
See more
See less

AR scope mounts and front sight post

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AR scope mounts and front sight post

Just curious...I noticed on my shiny new AR that any scope mount, even with high rings will have the front sight in the line of sight of the scope. What do most do? Ignore this? Remove the sight? Some sort of ultra high mount? I am sure there are options. Thanks!

ps...I notice there are some scope risers on the market that are for this purpose? ProMag for one.

http://www.amazon.com/Promag-New-Ar1...tra+high+rings
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 10-23-2012, 02:20 AM.
    My Videos
    Firing my great S&W 422 purchase!
    Mosin Nagant M44 video!
    Yugo M57 Tokarev!

Ignore it.

"It's Easier to Avoid Conflict than it is to Survive It" - SGB

Comment

You're suppose to ignore it. If you choose to use a red dot scope, try to line it up with the open sights to "co-witness" the two sights.

Dave
      Last edited by Nowhere Man; 10-23-2012, 09:52 AM.
      CERTIFIED GLOCK ARMORER
      1911 TRIGGER WORK

Comment

The only time it really gets in the way is on low magnification. Once you go higher with the magnification the sight begins to blur and by time you get out to about 9 mag, you shouldn't be able to see it at all. Come to think of it, I was laser boresighting a new 1-4x last night in the house with a circle/donut reticle, and I don't remember seeing the front sight while doing it.
        You may not like guns, and chose not to own one. That is your right. You might not believe in God. That is your choice. However, if someone breaks into your home, the first two things you're going to do are, 1) Call someone with a gun, 2) Pray they get there in time.

Comment

Scott, with the proper height required to mount a scope on a flat top AR, the fixed front sight post will appear in the bottom third of your field of view. For a red dot site, this is actually preferable, as you can you use both your open sights, and the red dot. For a scope, once you get magnification, it pretty much blurs out. On very low magnification, it may be somewhat noticeable, but you will get used to it, and tune it out.

Join the NRA: http://membership.nrahq.org/default....ignid=XR028304

Contact your representatives: http://nraila.org/get-involved-local...your-reps.aspx

Comment

Remove the thing and put a lo-pro gas block on it when you put your new handguard on.
            The Big Kahuna

God Bless America

Comment

Consider the folding front sight gas block. As far as being a quality front sight option, I'd trust this thing if beaten up way more than the stock front sight.

Comment

I had a 2.5 magnification behind my red-dot and it blurred the front sight post to non-existent. Its not worth changing until you want to for some other reason.

When I changed out the fore-end to a long free float, I switched to a rail mounted flip up sight (Troy Arms).
                T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L.

"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Jeff Cooper

Comment

I have scopes on all my AR and only noticed the post when using a Burris 5x scope. Since I really didn't care to see the front sight, I installed a riser. Recently removed the riser after deciding it's not necessary after all. Instead of a riser, spend the extra money on the mount. The Burris PEPR mounts are reasonably priced.
                  Last edited by GSPKurt; 10-23-2012, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Lancer 86 and Kurt have it right. Railed gas block with BUIS, or the YHM integral are the way to go. A decent gas block and decent BUIS (no Ebay Tiawan Tactical sights or fake Magpuls!) will cost about the same as the YHM. The big triangle just gets in the way.
                    NRA Certified Instructor.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                    Working...
                    X