Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!
Learn more about the Taurus firearms here!Learn more about Heritage Manufacturing here!Learn more about the Rossi firearms here!
Visit Target Sports USA!Visit Stainless Steel Guide Rods!

Announcement

Collapse

Announcement

Consider this an official notice.Posting articles from other sites is fine if you follow 2 simple rules:1) Only post a small summary of the article.2) Include a link to the original content with summary.Failure to comply with the above will result in a warning. Repeated violations will result in you being banned.These days more and more original content is being placed directly on websites. In order to combat copyright protection and maintain ownership of content, sites are employing people to hunt down unauthorized repost and contacting those sites with warnings. Posting someone else's content harms them in several ways, most of all the circumventing of their sites and thus the loss of traffic. This is becoming more serious of an offense across the internet and lawsuits are becoming common. Understanding the simple rules posted above will not only help this site, but also those who are creating content. It will also keep you from being sued as this site is a 3rd party engine, meaning YOU are responsible for the copyright violation, not us. We will always abide by author requests to remove content.
See more
See less

ar 15 conversion to .22???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ar 15 conversion to .22???

I currently have a smith and wesson M&P 15 ar15 in .223 and i want to get a conversion kit for it for .22 caliber because i want to practice shooting the AR without the .223 price. I looked at getting a whole another gun tactical .22 ar based but they are lighter and dont feel the same. so can anyone help me out with the best route to go with a conversion, i dont know too much about it and which is better a conversion or "dedicated upper" i believe thats what its called if anyone could help me or link me to a website that sells what i need i would greatly appreciate it and enlighten me on whats the best way to go or pros and cons of each. thank you

I cannot speak on the M&P 15, as the only one in our house is a .22LR. However, I have an AR in .22LR, comprised of a Plum Crazy (polymer) lower, and a "dedicated" CMMG Upper in .22LR. This combination is fantastic. I am not sure as to how the M&P is built, but I can bet that BangBang will be on with an answer for you within a day or so.

Comment

I went with the CMMG stainless conversion. It's working well so far. The big pro for me is that you use the same optics and irons as you would normally use.

Comment

Well im not sure which i want, whether it be a conversion or dedicated upper, now im thinking maybe just get a .22 ar style rifle even though it is lighter and use it so i dont have to mess with my current AR and i can leave it be how it is, Bam Bam how much did your ar 22 end up costing with that combo?

Comment

I like the idea of a dedicated upper over the conversion kit, my preference. I also have the S&W 15-22, which is very close to a true AR, but not 100%. Great carbine though, I have a lot of fun with it.

Join the NRA: http://membership.nrahq.org/default....ignid=XR028304

Contact your representatives: http://nraila.org/get-involved-local...your-reps.aspx

Comment

I don't have any experience with the conversions, but like DJ said... The M&P 15-22 is a great little gun.
            NRA Life Member

Comment

im looking at the mossberg 715t does anyone know anything about this gun?

Comment

I looked at those before I bought my M&P. The mossberg didn't compare in quality. It looked and felt cheap And it didn't have all the same functionality as a real AR. If you're looking for an AR platform .22lr, your best bet is the M&P 15-22, or the Umarex line of Colt and HK.
                djegators would be the one to talk to.. He's very knowledgable on the AR's.

But here's some links to check out:
                http://www.colt22rimfire.com/
                http://www.hk22rimfire.com/index.php?page=416-d145rs
                http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;...Rifle/21190631
                NRA Life Member

Comment

Originally posted by BShootin View Post
                  I looked at those before I bought my M&P. The mossberg didn't compare in quality. It looked and felt cheap And it didn't have all the same functionality as a real AR. If you're looking for an AR platform .22lr, your best bet is the M&P 15-22, or the Umarex line of Colt and HK.
                  djegators would be the one to talk to.. He's very knowledgable on the AR's.

But here's some links to check out:
                  http://www.colt22rimfire.com/
                  http://www.hk22rimfire.com/index.php?page=416-d145rs
                  http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;...Rifle/21190631
                  I just dont see spending 450-500$ on a .22 they do look better i just dont know if i want to sped that much im used to spending 170$ for a marlin 60 and it lasting forever

Comment

Yeah they are a bit pricey for a .22.
                    I don't know much about the conversions but I'm sure DJ and BangBang can give you some good advice on what you may be looking for in your price range. They are experts on the AR platform(DJ) and .22's (BangBang).
                    NRA Life Member

Comment

Originally posted by chevy4life11 View Post
                      Bam Bam how much did your ar 22 end up costing with that combo?
                      If I remember correctly, the Plum Crazy Lower ran me about $115, and the CMMG .22LR upper was about $375. I will have to contact BangBang to get the real numbers, as he built it for me.

The only thing I can add is this: You get what you pay for. I have a model 60 Marlin, which is a great little inexpensive rifle. I also have $1350.00 invested in a .22LR Bench rest rifle that is capable ofshooting dime-size groups at 100 yds. I can do dime-size groups at 50 yds, but I am too old and shaky to do it at 100.
                      Last edited by Bam Bam; 11-07-2012, 10:16 PM.

Comment

The benefits of owning a dedicated AR in .22 caliber are that you can practice with the .22 and have the same controls and functions as an AR 5.56 while spending a fraction of the cost for ammunition. You can also purchase a mil spec .22 upper and use it on any mil spec AR lower allowing you to have 2 different rifles (calibers) while only using one lower.

The Mossberg 715T is simply a Mossberg Plinkster (a $120 rifle) in a fake plastic AR style body.

The one benefit of a dedicated .22 upper over a .22 conversion kit is that being a blow back system (not gas operated) if you shoot a lot in a regular AR using a conversion kit there is the possibility of fouling the gas tube system and once this happens it is very hard to clean out, sometimes needing the services of a good gunsmith.

The S&W M&P 15-22 is a nice fun rifle.... I own one myself. It is not however, an AR. The S&W lower will not accept any other mil spec uppers. It is also very light which negates using it to train as an AR as the difference in weight develops different muscle memory.

The cost of the S&W is such that you could buy a dedicated .22 upper and a case of .22 ammo for what the S&W costs. By simply switching the .22 upper with your regular AR upper you can shoot two different calibers with the same grip frame, weight, and controls.

All the rifles mentioned in this thread can be a lot of fun.... you just need to decide which one fits your requirements the best.....

Don

Comment

I have the CMMG conversion and Blackdog magazines and this combo works well. The pros are that you use your same rifle, stock, optics etc and simply drop out your BCG and charging handle and swap them out. The cons are that in a typical AR rifle with a 1:9 or 1:7 twist, the accuracy will be usable to 25 yrds and marginal past that AND, 22LR is a very dirty cartridge so cleaning sux! Hopefully the members reading this are aware that the accuracy issue has nothing to do with the caliber as .223/5.56 is actually a 22 cal bullet - it is because a rifle purpose built for 22LR have a 1:12 or 1:16 twist to stabilize the bullets and of course the typical AR is nowhere near that. Bottom line (IMHO) is that if you want accuracy and probably slightly higher reliability, then a dedicated upper is a good idea but if you want to train with your normal weapon but not burn expensive and scares 5.56, then a conversion is the way to go. Oh, and for those not familiar with a conversion kit, the BCG is replaced and the extractor and return springs are built into the unit so the little 22LR cartridges dont actually try to push the normal buffer and spring back. Totally inert.
                          Life NRA Member, USCCA, IDPA. Glock 23/17/27. 5.56/.223/.204 Ruger/6.8SPC II

Comment

Another recommendation for CMMG complete uppers. Great quality and very reliable. I put mine on a lower I built and it functions well. Also tried it on a colt lower with good results. Nothing wrong with one lower and several uppers.

Comment

Originally posted by Barron View Post
                              Another recommendation for CMMG complete uppers. Great quality and very reliable. I put mine on a lower I built and it functions well. Also tried it on a colt lower with good results. Nothing wrong with one lower and several uppers.
                              Except in a gunfight with 3 defenders and 3 attackers :-)

Comment

There are currently 107 users online. 1 members and 106 guests.

Most users ever online was 769 at 10:54 AM on 04-13-2016.

Working...
                              X