Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!

Visit Standard Mfg. Co. LLC!Visit Target Sports USA!Learn more about Florida Gun Exchange here!See Remora holsters here!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greasy Steyr Mannlicher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greasy Steyr Mannlicher

Well, I got my $79 Steyr Mannlicher yesterday from J&G Sales. At this price, it did not come with any accessories but I wasn't really looking for that as much. It was extremely well packed and of course, loaded with grease! However, even through the grease I could quickly tell that the stock on this gun was in amazing condition. Maybe it was refinished at some point but my original intent was to strip the finish and re-stain it and now I am having second thoughts! The stock is amazingly smooth and only a few dings. The color is dark in a few spots because of the grease but overall it has a nice color! Here are some pictures! Between lots of hot soapy water and mineral spirits, I was able to get the grease off!

steyr5.jpgsteyr1.jpgsteyr2.jpgsteyr3.jpgsteyr4.jpg
    Gun owners must unite in 2016 to defeat the Democratic agenda. ALL Gun Owners get out the vote!

Wow, that wood does look good. That whole rifle looks like it is going up clean up nice. Amazing you can buy these old guns for so cheap still. They will completely dry up one day but will always be good values with a few exceptions. I saw a guy trying to get $450 for a Mosin on Gun Trader a few weeks back. Been seeing a lot of way overpriced Mausers as well.

That Steyr Mannlicher is an 8mm is it not? I have a K98 in 8mm that I have never shot yet.

"If guns cause crime, all mine are defective." ~ Ted Nugent

Comment

Originally posted by Just Dave View Post

That Steyr Mannlicher is an 8mm is it not? I have a K98 in 8mm that I have never shot yet.
      It is 8mm but does NOT use the Mauser 8mm but rather an 8x56r ammo. Unfortunately, this ammo is scarce. Most surplus ammo I have found was made for Germany and has a Nazi emblem on it. This ammo will go for $1.50 to 2.00 per round. I have found a few places to buy this ammo. The only other manufacturer so far I have found is PPU which sells it for about $1.00 per round. At the Tampa gun show this past week, I couldn't find a single box of it. So, I am not expecting this gun to be a regular shooter or anything. J&G would sell 20 rounds with the gun but no more than that. The emblem on this ammo appears to be a lion which as near as I can tell may be a Bulgarian stamp? I guess this will be just be ammo that I will regularly be looking for!

lion.jpg
      Gun owners must unite in 2016 to defeat the Democratic agenda. ALL Gun Owners get out the vote!

Comment

A little cleaner now!

stock1.jpgtrigger2.jpgopen_bolt4.jpgside_sight.jpgforend.jpg

Comment

Wow! Well done, you got a heck of a deal. I got my first Mosin from J&G. Good people.
          YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

Comment

Nice!!! Looking good, I can't get over how pretty that stock wood is.

"If guns cause crime, all mine are defective." ~ Ted Nugent

Comment

Well, I took it to the range today. Since I knew this gun would kick pretty good I put the Limbsaver on the gun before I went. Even with the Limbsaver, this gun had a good kick!!! I think some of this could be attributed to the light weight of the gun when you compare it to something like the Yugo M48 Mauser that is much heavier. The gun tended to group very high at 25 yards and I had to aim at the bottom of an 8 1/2 x 11 target to stay just above the bullseye. However, the grouping was pretty good. I guess this gun was expected to shoot at much further distances than 25 yards! But, I only had 20 rounds of ammo and I wanted to just enjoy it and see how it shot and worked.

The clips it uses are easy to load into the gun. The bloc clips ejected on the last shot most of the time but once I had to pull it out from the bottom. Cambering a round was never difficult; however, pulling the bolt back after some shots was not easy! Some were easy to eject, others I had to really bare down on the bolt to get it to come back. I would not give this gun high marks on the smoothness of the action but the straight pull bolt is very interesting in terms of its design. As soon as I get some more ammo, I will stretch its legs a little and go further out.

Comment

There are currently 113 users online. 1 members and 112 guests.

Most users ever online was 769 at 10:54 AM on 04-13-2016.

Working...
              X