Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!

Visit Standard Mfg. Co. LLC!Visit Target Sports USA!Learn more about Florida Gun Exchange here!See Remora holsters here!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

.22 ARs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .22 ARs

I have quite a few 22 rifles and pistols and these days it seems to be the only thing that I can shoot without exhausting my precious other ammo. I was thinking about picking up a Browning sa-22 grade 2 because they are beautiful rifles but walking into a gun store yesterday the Smith & Wesson M&P rifle perked my interest. I thought maybe I need to get one to practice my AR skills because I don't want to shoot my 223.
    I read quite a few articles yesterday regarding the best production AR-22 and the general consensus is that Smith & Wesson came in first and Colt was second. I'm not sure if you guys agree with that but I would love your thoughts on that. In addition how much trouble is it to build one on your own? I have never done that but have certainly thought about it. I am told that I would have a much better rifle for the money but I'm sure there is an endless supply of options there and it overwhelmed me and do t o ow where to start if I chose that option .
    I am a basic retro guy with iron sights. That is what I shot in the military and that is what I shoot today.

Buy an assembled CMMG .22 LR upper, build a stripped lower from Aero or Palmetto State Armory. Have fun shooting your rifle. Make sure you get several Black Dog Steel Lips magazines.

Edit-
    It's not difficult to build a lower receiver. Many videos on YouTube show you how.
    Proud Supporter Of President Trump

Comment

Thanks ....... will start the research...

Comment

If I can help, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Comment

Okay I think I'm going to do it and start with the lower since it requires most of the work. Just a few questions though .

I see the recommendation for the stripped lower (thanks Kurt) but how do I determine which other parts to order and if there are choices on those parts how do I know which ones to get? Should I get a lower kit?

for the upper I would like to have a threaded barrel if I ever get around to purchasing a suppressor. In the meantime is there such a thing as a threaded barrel and a screw-on flash suppressor to make it look proper? Where would I find such an animal?

Since one of the main purposes of this build is to simulate my "real" AR I would like for it to be as close as possible in weight and feel.

thanks for any input

Comment

Want to shoot your AR platform but would like it in a 22LR?

Get the CMMG 22LR conversion kit.

It's simple. Clean. And works PERFECTLY.

Takes all of 30 seconds to switch from your normal bolt carrier group to their 22LR carrier group.

I've run it in my own AR-15 (M&P-15) with over 3000 rounds so far with not a single problem! Even I didn't think that was possible.

It's a one piece, drop in unit. Easy to clean and works very well.

Buy the kit with the 3 extra magazines and you're ready to go in the time it takes to load the mags!

AD

Comment

Thanks for the thought. But I really want to separate guns for several reasons

Comment

Originally posted by Vagante View Post
                Okay I think I'm going to do it and start with the lower since it requires most of the work. Just a few questions though .

I see the recommendation for the stripped lower (thanks Kurt) but how do I determine which other parts to order and if there are choices on those parts how do I know which ones to get? Should I get a lower kit?

for the upper I would like to have a threaded barrel if I ever get around to purchasing a suppressor. In the meantime is there such a thing as a threaded barrel and a screw-on flash suppressor to make it look proper? Where would I find such an animal?

Since one of the main purposes of this build is to simulate my "real" AR I would like for it to be as close as possible in weight and feel.

thanks for any input
                My CMMG upper came with a threaded barrel.
                Buy a standard lower parts kit, it comes with everything you need to build the lower.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

And of course............everyone is out of everything. ..........wait wait wait.

Comment

Okay guys it looks like building a lower is not possible until parts get back into stock for several companies. In the meantime here is a complete lower from Palmetto. What do you think? I'm trying to emulate my Colt M4 carbine with a 22 Upper. Will this be realistic and a good quality?

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...+Abandonment+3

Comment

Originally posted by Vagante View Post
                        Okay guys it looks like building a lower is not possible until parts get back into stock for several companies. In the meantime here is a complete lower from Palmetto. What do you think? I'm trying to emulate my Colt M4 carbine with a 22 Upper. Will this be realistic and a good quality?

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...+Abandonment+3
                        You bet it will. Building your own saves you some money and gives you a connection to the rifle, but their assembled lowers are excellent quality, all Mil-Spec.

Comment

Comment

There are currently 139 users online. 1 members and 138 guests.

Most users ever online was 769 at 10:54 AM on 04-13-2016.

Working...
                          X