Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!
Learn more about the Taurus firearms here!
Learn more about Heritage Manufacturing here!Learn more about the Rossi firearms here!
Visit Target Sports USA!Visit Stainless Steel Guide Rods!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CVA Optima Magnum 50 cal is top notch!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CVA Optima Magnum 50 cal is top notch!

I was at the Dade City range today to shoot my 54 cal. Hawken and got to put a few rounds down range with the CVA Optima Magnum with Nikon scope I recently acquired from noleveyor. Since I cut the stock down and adjusted the scope as far back as it would go to help with eye relief, I wasn't sure where it would be on the paper at 50 yards...but since the target stand had new paper I knew I would be somewhere where I could see. So, I put a ball and patch down range with a target load of 60 grains of Pyrodex to see where I was and I was right about 3 o'clock just outside the black...so a few clicks and I was in the center. I then put some light-weight 1/66 twist Hornady conical's down range, neither of which the ball or conicals should produce great results, but this rifle was doing very well. I then put several 250 gr. T/C Sabots down range and these shot even better. The 209 primers guarantee good ignition every time. So, I am very pleased with this gun and as I work with it and try other bullet/load combinations to see what works, I am sure it will perform well. The stainless barrel is very easy to clean especially with the removable breach plug. I can see why so many like these style of muzzle-loaders for extended hunting seasons over the more traditional BP guns. I will say the 250 grain Hornady Sabot rounds I was shooting from my Hawken were also giving better more consistent results but not as good as the CVA.
    Gun owners must unite in 2016 to defeat the Democratic agenda. ALL Gun Owners get out the vote!

60gr charge sounds extremely light for the Optima. Also, the Optima has a pretty fast barrel twist for shooting heavy conicals, powerbelts, and saboted bullets. I had pretty poor results my first time out with my Optima. It just didn't like my home cast .44 bullets in a sabot. I think the lack of gas check on a gas check design let the bullet wobble in the sabot and gave an inconsistent release.

The manual also recommends the pelletized propellant charges. I tried again with swaged "cheapshot" bullets in black sabots with the white hot pellets. It shot much better with that combination. Before I was using Blackhorn 209. Turns out that CVA sells a breech plug just for the Blackhorn powder and other granulars.

You just reminded me to do the review of mine. It's also telling the tale of my quota hunt last weekend.

http://flaguns.com/showthread.php?22386-New-Rifle
    Last edited by 2wheelDuke; 11-06-2013, 09:39 AM.

Comment

According to the manual I have, 50 grains is the lightest load. For me, 60 grains was just a target type load to see where I was placing on the paper. My goal was not to burn up allot of power, but gently see how this gun performed at first. This was my first inline. They do not recommend conicals over 400 grains so I started with a very light conical and have some heavier to try later. Powerbelts are produced by or for CVA and seems to be their recommended bullet. They do not recommend over 300 grains for sabots. Similarly, the manual refers to the pellets (and I bought some to try) but also has loading data for granular Pyrodex or GOEX Black Powder which I prefer just because it is generally cheaper to shoot. As I mentioned even with such a light load of 60 grains, it was grouping nicely at 50 yards. My next visit to the range will start working up to 100 grains to see how it does with each type of bullet. The manual says that break opens with the word magnum printed on the barrel can handle up to 150 grains of the new pelletized powder. I am not sure I would ever want to push that unless I was hunting Moose or Elk or something like that...I tend to believe 100 grains should be more than enough for hog hunting here in Florida or at least I hope!!!! However, the Powerbelts are expensive, so using a cheaper handgun bullet in a sabot gets me on the paper or sighted much closer before I start blasting expensive bullets down range. I can buy 30 sabot bullets for less than 20 of the Powerbelts. Sportsmen's Guide has these T/C cheap shot load sabots for only $8 per 20 so I am getting some of those to try. Anything for cheap practice and save the nice rounds for hunting!

Question, have you tried any of this breech plug grease or tried anything similar? I did oil the breach plug and only hand tightened it but I was still surprised at how firmly it was in the barrel? Maybe I just need to use some heavy grease and not something as thin as oil? It is like the powder residue gets back up into the threads or something?
      Gun owners must unite in 2016 to defeat the Democratic agenda. ALL Gun Owners get out the vote!

Comment

I got the package, and it included breech plug grease. It's in a chap stick type container it's silver-grey in color, basically very thick anti-seize grease. It works well, Agger a session of 100 and 150 grain charges, the plug comes right out with my fingers.

Comment

Maybe i'll pick some up, it is probably just a high-heat grease, I would think there must be equivalents out there? But then a tube will last a long time! Do you have the newer plug? I have the older style that uses the tool or a 12mm sock wrench which works perfect!

Comment

Mine is the new style plug with the ribbed circumference. It easily screws in and out with just my fingers. Anti-seize would probably work fine on the threads. I don't think it costs much, and a little goes a long way.

Comment

My plug looks like this. Looks like they don't interchange to the old guns according to CVA, so I guess your gun is an 09 or earlier.

And they get $6 for a stick of plug grease. I think a stick should last for years unless you shoot it every weekend.

Comment

I'll give it a try...I just ordered some from Amazon...like you said it will last a long time! So have you ever pushed your loads to 150 grains of the pellets? That has to be some kick! I was shooting a 425 grain bullet in my 54 cal. Hawken with 100 grains and it was about like a shotgun slug! I bruised my shoulder up so bad one weekend that I picked up another Limb Saver just for the brass butt plate of the Hawken! My next outing was totally different, much more pleasant. There was a guy next to me shooting 30-06 complaining about his shoulder...so I gave it to him to shoot a few rounds...Limb Saver just found another customer...he loved it!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  I'll give it a try...I just ordered some from Amazon...like you said it will last a long time! So have you ever pushed your loads to 150 grains of the pellets? That has to be some kick! I was shooting a 425 grain bullet in my 54 cal. Hawken with 100 grains and it was about like a shotgun slug! I bruised my shoulder up so bad one weekend that I picked up another Limb Saver just for the brass butt plate of the Hawken! My next outing was totally different, much more pleasant. There was a guy next to me shooting 30-06 complaining about his shoulder...so I gave it to him to shoot a few rounds...Limb Saver just found another customer...he loved it!
                  I use 3 pellets behind a T/C Shockwave as my hunting load. They print pretty nicely at 100 yards. Yeah, it does kick a bit. IMR says that I should be getting about 2150fps at the muzzle with that load. I don't find the recoil all that offensive. The Crush Zone recoil bad on my stock must really be good stuff.

After my hunt last weekend, I may need to move my scope a bit. The current setup is great at the range, but from the tree stand, it felt like I had to reach my neck a bit more forward to get the alignment I wanted on the scope.

Comment

What bullet with that load of 3 pellets? That is pretty darn fast for muzzleloaders! I had to adjust my scope as far back too and of course cut the stock but it is about as good as it will get for me.

Comment

I'm using the Thompson/Center Shockwave 250gr. .45 cal in .50 sabots.

Comment

I'm using the Thompson/Center Shockwave 250gr. .45 cal in .50 sabots.

Comment

Well, I got some of the breech plug grease...so I will give that a try to see how it performs. I also enjoyed seeing the UPS man gingerly handing me a box marked as Hazardous from Graf & Sons with a variety of black powders I wanted to try from GOEX to their own brand they have made of Alder wood. I am still making my own but I will use mine as a cheap alternative for practice and save the factory stuff for accuracy or hunting. It's always fun to try other products! This is also a great video on completely taking down the 1858 Army. I did this the other day and it was well worth it and not that hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfILwSAne8s

Comment

There are currently 78 users online. 0 members and 78 guests.

Most users ever online was 769 at 10:54 AM on 04-13-2016.

Working...
                          X