Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!

Visit Standard Mfg. Co. LLC!Visit Target Sports USA!Learn more about Florida Gun Exchange here!See Remora holsters here!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP info on a Old S&W .38

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • HELP info on a Old S&W .38

    Could someone help me with some info on this???
    # on bottom butt strap 10306
    Inside the cylinder 27091
    I’LL KEEP MY MONEY, MY FREEDOM & MY GUNS & YOU KEEP THE “CHANGE”

  • #2
    According to your serial number your revolver was made about 1952 and it's a Centennial Airweight model 42. Now it could still be all steel as you are right on the border line of the first run.

    Value wise EXC:$500, VG:$350, Good:$300. That's what the book says.. Good luck with it.
    The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his/her rifle.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Baldy View Post
      According to your serial number your revolver was made about 1952 and it's a Centennial Airweight model 42. Now it could still be all steel as you are right on the border line of the first run.

      Value wise EXC:$500, VG:$350, Good:$300. That's what the book says.. Good luck with it.
      Thanx, I did put a magnet to it and it is all steel So I been told it might be a model 40
      I’LL KEEP MY MONEY, MY FREEDOM & MY GUNS & YOU KEEP THE “CHANGE”

      Comment


      • #4
        The Centennial and Centennial Airweight are the same revolver. The only difference is the Centennial is all steel and the Centennial Airweight has a aluminum frame. They are both called Lemon Squeezers. Great little packing gun if you like revolvers like I do.
        The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his/her rifle.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Baldy View Post
          The Centennial and Centennial Airweight are the same revolver. The only difference is the Centennial is all steel and the Centennial Airweight has a aluminum frame. They are both called Lemon Squeezers. Great little packing gun if you like revolvers like I do.
          It does say airweight on it but the magnet sticks to it all over. I tried to look it up on the S&W website but they want $50 for a history report on it. Just another reason I like Rugers. Ruger will send you a letter and tell you the manufacture date and send you a owners manual for the gun for free.
          I’LL KEEP MY MONEY, MY FREEDOM & MY GUNS & YOU KEEP THE “CHANGE”

          Comment


          • #6
            The aluminum used back then was not as high as quality as used today. The magnet test will fail about 75% of the time on them old revolvers. If it has airweight stamped on it then it has some aluminum in it and is a Centennial Airweight. Should be 2 ozs or so lighter than a all steel model.
            The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his/her rifle.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Baldy View Post
              The aluminum used back then was not as high as quality as used today. The magnet test will fail about 75% of the time on them old revolvers. If it has airweight stamped on it then it has some aluminum in it and is a Centennial Airweight. Should be 2 ozs or so lighter than a all steel model.
              It is nice and light.
              I’LL KEEP MY MONEY, MY FREEDOM & MY GUNS & YOU KEEP THE “CHANGE”

              Comment


              • #8
                It's a Centennial model; period.

                S&W didn't give them a model # until 1956-57.

                That's why there's no model # on the frame under the crane.

                I used to have one of them; serial # 640. Definitely from the first year of production with a number that low.

                I traded it off because I didn't want to use it and cause any wear to the bluing; guess I'm more of a shooter than a collector.

                The dealer traded me a brand new Taurus Judge Public Defender for it (which I wanted), so I think I did OK.

                Take care,

                Rick

                Comment

                There are currently 62 users online. 0 members and 62 guests.

                Most users ever online was 769 at 10:54 AM on 04-13-2016.

                Working...
                X