Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!

Visit Standard Mfg. Co. LLC!Visit Target Sports USA!Learn more about Florida Gun Exchange here!See Remora holsters here!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to me GP100

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me GP100

I just purchased a gently used GP100 357 mag from floridaguntrader.com. I purchased it for home defense for my girlfriend and I. We both went to the range today and were very happy with the gun. She has large hands for a young lady and she really was comfortable shooting it. We shot 50 38spl rounds and 25 .357 rounds. I have to say, I am so far a terrible shot with this gun. Chelsea is even worse. I had a hard time hitting the bullseye, she had a hard time hitting the paper. She won't really listen to me about her stance. I put her in a better stance, and by the 3rd shot she is back to that horrible position.

I have heard that a 357 is a loud round, but I definitely did not expect it to be as loud as it was. After the first shot, there were actually a group of people behind me at the range seeing what kind of cannon was being shot.

Last edited by .410; 04-02-2011, 08:48 PM.

I had the same problems with hitting the bull at 7 yards, when I first got my S&W Airweight .38 Special with a 2" barrel. I also had the same problem with my Charter Arms .327 Magnum. (3") I fire both of them DA, and the best thing I can tell you is spend more time at the range. (More trips, not longer periods) Leave the .357 ammo at home until you are both comfortable and fairly proficient with the .38s. Have a more experienced shooter watch what you are doing, and ask him what you may be doing wrong. A couple of hints from a NRA Instructor friend, and half a dozen trips to the range, and I am equally proficient with either gun. I had problems with my grip, rather than my stance, and he helped me immensely. I do occasionally shoot both guns at 10 yards, but If I can keep 35 out of 40 shots in the bull (7") at 7 yards. I figure that is good enough. IMHO, If the bad guy is more than 7 yards away, he really isn't that much of a threat. Quite frankly, even if my SD gun was a .357, I would still only be using .38s in it.

Comment

I loved my GP100, I sure regret selling it.

Try using an isosceles stance and shooting the gun single action, you may see your marksmanship improve.
      T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L.

"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Jeff Cooper

Comment

I shoot almost nothing but .38's in my GP100. First thing I would make sure you were doing is the front sight must be in focus. Rear sight will be a little blurry, target will be a lot blurry. The front sight should be in perfect focus. Just put the front sight in the middle of the rear sight, and in the middle of the target. You'll hit 100%.

Comment

For what it worth,,,,,,,,,,,,,I can see right off the bat that both of you have improper grips,,,,,,,,,,,,I will be home from Iraq in May for a month if you would like a free training session........If you dont mind driving to Melbourne for the day.In all due repsect to another post on here,,,firing single action is great but dont even comtemplate using it in single action mode for self defense,,,,you will end up shooting something you did not intend to and can also get you charged with premeditated murder in a self defence case

Doc Savage

Comment

Just got one, myself......
            I'd bring those targets in closer until you build up a little more confidence, then send them out farther.
            And, yes, shoot in single action until you get used to the size and recoil and, again, to gain confidence.
            Is it a 4 inch? My friend calls it the "boat anchor".

Comment

I have the 6" barrel one in stainless. It is one of my favorites. Very accurate.
              "Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

Comment

Can we have some actual proof (besides simple say so) that anyone has ever been charged with premediated murder in a self defense situation because they fired a gun in single action mode?

I'd appreciate seeing that if it exists.....

Don

Comment

Hi Don,
                  Ok,,this is based on a lecture given by an FBI agent in Atlanta Ga circa 1992.........heres the jist of the story.....A homeowner realised someone was breaking in thru a bedroom window....He owned a DA/SA revolver.....fearing he might have to confront the intruder he put the pistol into SA mode..because as he stated "whenever I shoot I always pull back the hammner first" The attorney for the bad guys family wanted him charged with premeditated murder because he cocked the hammer first......there by signaling his intention that he WAS going to shoot before he even came into proximity of the criminal..........Now as it turns out,,,,he was cleared of any charges..But just trying to make a point about using a DA weapon in SA mode.....something you dont to walk around a house with when the adrenalin is flowing and that trigger finger mysteriously migrates to end up on the trigger..............I can understand shooting in SA to become acccustomed to the weapon,,,,but for only a very limited time....Then time to learn how to use that DA mode,,,Hope this clarifies a few questions??
                  Doc Savage
                  Last edited by Doc Savage; 04-03-2011, 12:04 PM.

Comment

I think we'd be ok here in Florida if the criminal is in your house?

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Savage View Post
                      For what it worth,,,,,,,,,,,,,I can see right off the bat that both of you have improper grips,,,,,,,,,,,,I will be home from Iraq in May for a month if you would like a free training session........If you dont mind driving to Melbourne for the day.In all due repsect to another post on here,,,firing single action is great but dont even comtemplate using it in single action mode for self defense,,,,you will end up shooting something you did not intend to and can also get you charged with premeditated murder in a self defence case

Doc Savage

Why do people insist on spreading foolish nonsense like this? I suppose carrying a 1911 cocked and locked is premeditated too, huh?
                      I get tired of hearing about how a polished trigger, or certain ammunition, or cocking a gun before firing, or any of the other silly things people come up with will suddenly turn a scared self defense shooter into a murderer. Repeating some BS you claim to have heard in 1992 by another third party (the supposed FBI guy) doesn't not lend any more credibility to your statement.
                      Find any case, in Florida Law, occurring any time since the passing of the 'stand your ground' legislation, where a self defense shooter was charged with murder for any action like I have described above.

I understand you might be some type big whoop-de-do tactical training guru, but you aren't a lawyer, and you obviously don't know anything about Florida's "stand your ground" law. Please stop trying to scare new shooters with a bunch of clap-trap.
                      Last edited by mr. b; 04-03-2011, 12:15 PM.
                      T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L.

"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Jeff Cooper

Comment

Ok,,,,I know I can catch some flak on this answer,,,,,,,,,,,,but just because someone is in your house dosent mean you can shoot them. (Shoot to Kill shoot to stop) An example of this......you open your front door and see a man standing just inside your freshly broken patio door......he is approximately 40-45 feet away,,,,,,has no weapon other than the brick he used to smash the door...Are you justified in using deadly force?..Now playing the devils advocate here,,,,the very content of what you posted could be used against you in a court of law,,,,,essentially you have said " if someone is in my house its okay to kill them" Sounds stupid right? But I guarantee you an attorney would use this against you in a heart beat! So,,as always...I am all ears on responsible comments,...Thanks
                        Doc Savage

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Savage View Post
                          Ok,,,,I know I can catch some flak on this answer,,,,,,,,,,,,but just because someone is in your house dosent mean you can shoot them. (Shoot to Kill shoot to stop) An example of this......you open your front door and see a man standing just inside your freshly broken patio door......he is approximately 40-45 feet away,,,,,,has no weapon other than the brick he used to smash the door...Are you justified in using deadly force?..Now playing the devils advocate here,,,,the very content of what you posted could be used against you in a court of law,,,,,essentially you have said " if someone is in my house its okay to kill them" Sounds stupid right? But I guarantee you an attorney would use this against you in a heart beat! So,,as always...I am all ears on responsible comments,...Thanks
                          Doc Savage
                          Again, go read Florida's laws concerning self-defense. Then, after you are informed about all the misinformation and wrong advice you are giving people, please start a new thread in the correct forum to continue your discussion.

And in your second scenario.. What is the bad guy doing once you see him? You phrase it like he is just standing there waiting patiently while the homeowner ponders his choices "Hmmm, I dunno, should I shoot him? Lets weigh the pro's and con's..."
                          If the bad guy advances, he is a threat. If he retreats, he is not. Pretty simple, ain't it?
                          Last edited by mr. b; 04-03-2011, 12:26 PM.
                          T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L.

Comment

Ok,,,well it didnt take long for me to get a few quick e-mails........especially concerning the castle law,,,Let me be clear,,I am not quoting or citing "The Law"..the point I am trying to make is,,,what decsision will a jury of your peers...when faced with evidence and facts make when a verdict is asked for...Just because it is the " Law" and written down in a book dosent mean that justice will always be served,,,,,,,,,,

Comment

I agree with mr. b..... I don't understand why people must work so hard at making up scenarios to complicate the situation and further confuse the issue.

The law here in Florida (Senate Bill 436) passed in April, 2005 states.....

"The bill permits a person to use force, including deadly force, without fear of criminal prosecution or civil action for damages, against a person who unlawfully and forcibly enters the persons dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle. Additionally, this bill abrogates the common law duty to retreat when attacked before using deadly force that is reasonably necessary to prevent death or bodily harm."

"The bill creates a presumption that a defender in his or her home, in a place of temporary lodging, as a guest in the home or temporary lodging of another, or in a vehicle has a reasonable fear of imminant death or great bodily harm when the intruder is in the process of unlawfully and forcibly entering or enters. It also creates a presumption that the intruder intends to commit an unlawful act involving force or violence. These presumptions protect the defender from civil and criminal prosecution for unlawful use of force or deadly force in selfdefence."

"This bill expands the concept of the castle to include attached porches, any type of vehicle, and places of temporary lodging to include tents"

This is right out of Florida Firearms Law, Use, & Ownership, Seventh Edition (the newest edition that just came out) by Jon H. Gutmacher, Esq. It is located in Chapter 11, page 234-235.

So your scenario of a man with a brick and a destroyed patio door does give one the right to use deadly force.

There will be no jury because one is protected against prosecution!

Doc, I would suggest, if you intend to teach anyone in Florida, that you buy the book and acquaint yourself with the Florida laws and statues that concern not only firearms and how to use them but also when you may use them.

Spreading faulty or incomplete information is worse than not teaching at all.

Don

Comment

There are currently 52 users online. 0 members and 52 guests.

Most users ever online was 769 at 10:54 AM on 04-13-2016.

Working...
                              X