Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!
Learn more about the Taurus firearms here!Learn more about Heritage Manufacturing here!Learn more about the Rossi firearms here!
Visit Target Sports USA!Visit Stainless Steel Guide Rods!

Announcement

Collapse

Announcement

Consider this an official notice.Posting articles from other sites is fine if you follow 2 simple rules:1) Only post a small summary of the article.2) Include a link to the original content with summary.Failure to comply with the above will result in a warning. Repeated violations will result in you being banned.These days more and more original content is being placed directly on websites. In order to combat copyright protection and maintain ownership of content, sites are employing people to hunt down unauthorized repost and contacting those sites with warnings. Posting someone else's content harms them in several ways, most of all the circumventing of their sites and thus the loss of traffic. This is becoming more serious of an offense across the internet and lawsuits are becoming common. Understanding the simple rules posted above will not only help this site, but also those who are creating content. It will also keep you from being sued as this site is a 3rd party engine, meaning YOU are responsible for the copyright violation, not us. We will always abide by author requests to remove content.
See more
See less

Smith & Wesson Lady Smith in .32 H & R Magnum Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith & Wesson Lady Smith in .32 H & R Magnum Question

I gave my wife a Smith & Wesson Lady Smith in .32 H & R Magnum - Stainless with a 2" barrel back in 1992 (I bought it new) She's thinking about selling it to get a semi auto pistol for her CCW. I can't find too much information on the web about this particular gun and have no idea how much it's worth.

I do know that 32 Lady Smiths were produced for only two years - 1990 -1992. During that time, it was made in a 2" & 4" version and only 5474 total were made - counting both 2" & 4" models. That should make it pretty rare I would think.

Does anyone know how much it might be worth? It's in EXCELLENT condition and has only had maybe 150 rounds put through it.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Glock Rocker
    NRA member
    NRA Instructor
    www.SafeAimFirearmsTraining.com

Its a S&W model 631 and they are rarer models. I have seen the 2" models sell for between $650 to $800 to a collector. The problem is that most people will not want a smaller caliber J frame so it may be harder to sell for someone looking for a self-defense gun.

If you try to sell at a gun store you will most likely receive far less then its worth.
    Last edited by mesinge2; 01-01-2013, 09:36 PM.
    NRA Certified Instructor

Comment

Thanks Mesinge2... Sounds like I need to find a collector! LOL!
      NRA member
      NRA Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by GlockRocker View Post
        Thanks Mesinge2... Sounds like I need to find a collector! LOL!

Try selling it at the S&W forum: http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php
        NRA Certified Instructor

Comment

The current Blue Book of Gun Values gives a value of $400 in 100% condition, $350 in 98%, $300 in 95%, and $250 in 90% condition. You should also check gunbroker.com for current auction values. The book also indicates that the LadySmith version was offered only with the 2" barrel. The standard Model 631 was offered with the 2 or 4 inch barrels, and is valued at $695 in 100% condition and $600 in 98% condition. Looks like you should have gotten her a standard Model 631 instead of the 631 LadySmith... In any case, the Glock 26 would be an excellent replacement...

Comment

Hmmm... Now I'm confused... Is the "Blue Book" gospel, or is it common for people to pay more?
            NRA member
            NRA Instructor

Comment

a collector usually wont pay more unless he really wants it.

Comment

Originally posted by GlockRocker View Post
                Hmmm... Now I'm confused... Is the "Blue Book" gospel, or is it common for people to pay more?
                The Blue Book is only a guide -- an "expert's" opinion of what a gun can be expected to bring on the open market, and that opinion can be about a year old. Interest in a particular gun can change, so the market value can change. That's why you should try to learn recent selling price on a site such as gunbroker.com. In the absence of that kind of data, the Blue Book gives you something to go by. Like anything else, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it -- a particular person, on a particular day... You might get lucky and find someone who just has to have that gun and be willing to pay a premium for it.

Comment

Its the old story do you want to sell the gun or sit for months trying to get top dollar. My experience with these revolvers is $350-$400 for a quick sale. Want more you will pay the auction fee at gun broker and wait a long time for a bite.

Remember you are competing right now with all extra dollars going to the AR and other semi auto platform guns and magazines. You may have to wait to sell a revolver unless you offer it at a fair price for a quick sale.

Comment

Originally posted by firstluff View Post
                    The Blue Book is only a guide -- an "expert's" opinion of what a gun can be expected to bring on the open market, and that opinion can be about a year old. Interest in a particular gun can change, so the market value can change. That's why you should try to learn recent selling price on a site such as gunbroker.com. In the absence of that kind of data, the Blue Book gives you something to go by. Like anything else, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it -- a particular person, on a particular day... You might get lucky and find someone who just has to have that gun and be willing to pay a premium for it.
                    THIS!!! give you a example I have a Remington 700 Classic 7x57 in 95%.. blue book puts it around $350, I've been offered $750 but I've never seen one for sale, Bluebook is only a guide... you have a very nice gun but its in a odd caliber and its a revolver,it will sale but not fast

Comment

There are currently 64 users online. 4 members and 60 guests.

Most users ever online was 769 at 10:54 AM on 04-13-2016.

Working...
                    X