Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!
Learn more about the Taurus firearms here!
Learn more about Heritage Manufacturing here!Learn more about the Rossi firearms here!
Visit Target Sports USA!Visit Stainless Steel Guide Rods!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Blackhawk.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Blackhawk.

Well I haven't posted in a while due to my wife getting pregnant & the arrival of a baby boy(Arlo) which has consumed all of my time. He's now a little over a year old so I have some free time, some being the key word. That being said, I have finally purchased a pistol that I have wanted for a while. A stainless Ruger New Blackhawk in 357 magnum with the 4.62" barrel. I ordered it from Bud's since my LGS never responded to my emails asking if they could get one for me. I used Bud's echeck feature to get the 3% cash discount but don't think I would do it again on a low priced firearm. It took 5 days to clear their bank & it tested my patience more than my 1 year old has. Once cleared shipping was fast as usual but it still took a couple days to get it from my FFL due to them having some sort of emergency. 11 days after I paid online with my echeck I finally had this beauty in my mitts. I took it to the range on Saturday & put 50 rounds straight to work. It shoots great but will require a little attention to the action to make it as smooth as my other Rugers. As soon as I cleaned it after the range trip I painted the sight blade with some orange nail polish & that helped a ton with sight acquisition. I ordered a set of black lotus burl grips from Chig's Grips & a shooters pack from Wolff Springs. Shooting this pistol made me realize how much I love revolvers & how much I need a new Vaquero now. I will post some picture with the new grips when they arrive. If you have a Ruger single action, GP100 or SP101 I highly recommend chigsgrips.com. I have his inserts for my double action Rugers & now the Blackhawk. He does great work & his pricing is great.

"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry

That is one SWEEEEET Blackhawk! Looking forward to pictures with new grips.
    Proud Supporter Of President Trump

Comment

I am one of the few that still enjoys shooting old SA revolvers. I got a couple of .22's and a flat top Ruger in .45 Colt. That sure is a nice one you have and it will do a great job for you I am sure. Good luck with it.
      The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his/her rifle.

Comment

I got my grips from chigsgrips.com Black lotus burl.

"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry

Comment

I received my Wolff Springs this week so I did a little work on it to smooth out the action.

30 oz. trigger spring(Top) VS stock(Bottom).

19 Lb. hammer spring(Top) VS stock(Bottom).

Extra power base pin latch spring(Top) VS stock(Bottom).

Changing the Hammer spring is never fun on a Ruger revolver.

While I had it apart I smoothed out all the moving parts with my Arkansas stones.

Changing the base pin latch spring was pretty straight forward.

During reassembly I had a small issue with the cylinder latch spring not wanting to cooperate, causing the cylinder to spin freely. After closer inspection I must have muscled it a little too much & it was bent, The bend caused it to not engage the the cylinder latch & get in the way of the gate detent spring. I ordered a couple more springs from Midway USA this morning to remedy the issue. The trigger pull & cocking the hammer felt great otherwise. I didn't notice too much difference with the extra power base pin latch spring.

Comment

Looks like you have some skills! Good work!
            Proud Supporter Of President Trump

Comment

Thank you. I am just a novice but I enjoy tinkering as my dad would say.

Comment

Here's a trick with the Hammer Spring. Look through the silver ware drawer and fine a heavy fork with the thine's far enough apart that the hammer will go through. Put spring on the hammer and push it down far enough to put the pin in. Took me way longer to write this than to do the job. Simple as can be and only takes a few seconds to do. Hope this helps you in the future. Good Lucky..
                The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his/her rifle.

Comment

There are currently 79 users online. 0 members and 79 guests.

Most users ever online was 769 at 10:54 AM on 04-13-2016.

Working...
                X