Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!

Visit Standard Mfg. Co. LLC!Visit Target Sports USA!Learn more about Florida Gun Exchange here!See Remora holsters here!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dan Wesson? or just S&W?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan Wesson? or just S&W?

Anyone remember (still have) Dan Wesson Revolvers? Or is it just Smith & Wesson Revolvers nowadays?

4 revolvers.jpg

I had a DW Model just like that back when they first came out. It was novel but I didn't really care for it. I traded for a car repair bill I had. LOL! ... Go with the S&W. JMHO!!.
    The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his/her rifle.

Comment

The newest S&W in the locker is the Model 69 .44 Mag. https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-69

s_w_model_69_revolver_44_mag.jpg

Comment

Now that's about as good as it gets. For me the .44mag is my limit of accuracy. I have shot some larger stuff in my day, but I just as well of throwed rocks at the targets.. LoL! IMHO you have the perfect woods model. Good luck with it..
        The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his/her rifle.

Comment

The new Dan Wesson is of considerably higher quality and price than the DW of old.

That 629 is one BA revolver.
          Proud Supporter Of President Trump

Comment

Now I just need to find a factory load that allows low end 44 Mag performance with near .45 ACP response times for back yard duty. Picked up a couple of boxes of CCI Aluminium Blazer, but I may need to once again set up the reloading press or even the Old Hand Worked dies? Any suggestions?
            Last edited by M118LR; 05-11-2020, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GSPKurt View Post
              The new Dan Wesson is of considerably higher quality and price than the DW of old.

That 629 is one BA revolver.
              Depending upon what Shooting Sport you engaged in, the Old Dan Wesson Revolver might have been the best. ( Silhouette/Bullseye vice Speed) It's forward crane lock and consistent tension at the front of the barrel gave the Dan Wesson Revolvers a distinct edge in Revolver accuracy. Unfortunately, that forward crane lock also required more hand manipulation when utilizing a Speedloader. (not to mention a complete deviation in the "Manual of Arms" from Standard Issue Police Revolvers of the period.)

The L-Frame S&W balances weight to Magnum Recoil. Lighter is always better when toting in the woods, yet a certain amount of recoil dampening weight allows for a faster & more accurate second shot should it be required. The Old Dan Wesson tamed & delivered even the Wildest of .44 Mag loadings, but ounces become pounds when carried over time for an occasional shot.JMHO.

If I sound a bit less than a fanboy of the S&W L-Frame? The one pictured Failed to Fire/Cycle on "The Street" and then "Unintentionally Discharged" when tossed away during an actual "Life or Death" situation. It has been sent to S&W and an "M" was stamped on it by S&W to assure that the problem has been corrected? (yet it never again "Walked a Beat on the Street") But since the .357 Mag L-Frame S&W is my all time favorite S&W Revolver on the One-Way-Range, I couldn't resist the S&W L-Frame in my All Time Favorite Revolver Cartridge .44 Mag.

The Original Purpose of the .44 Mag S&W L-Frame is as a "Backup" to a Controlled Round Feed 300 Win Mag Bolt Action Primary Rifle during a White Bruin Hunt. Should the 300 Win Mag be unsuccessful for whatever reason, I'll need at least 21 feet (seven yard) success to relate the "Tale of the Hunt". JMHO.

Long Winded???????

Comment

Sometimes somethings rosinante with Local Folks, perhaps a picture is worth a thousand words. There is a reason I came HOME to share with "Homefolks". Just a little S&W L-Frame pictorial. Should we have a conversation about what is or what ain't. we can can have it over a cold frothy at Ann O'Malley's. But this is all based on non-professional networks. Reason I came HOME, to rub elbows locally with folks I'm conversing with. All Apologies otherwise apply. JMHO.
                IMG_20190806_232640.jpg
                Last edited by M118LR; 05-18-2020, 01:27 AM.

Comment

So with all apologies to the S&W Fanboys, the facts are simple. The L-Frame S&W .357 Mag had a problem. LEO's documented and reported this problem, S&W needed to fix the problem. Folks like US had to have the problem fixed.
                  http://www.firearmsid.com/Recalls/FA_Recalls%205.htm
                  Last edited by M118LR; 05-18-2020, 01:26 AM.

Comment

• GSPKurt
                    GSPKurt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the link. Good info to have.

What about Ruger. I love my Single Sixs, GP-100s; Volquero and Blackhawks. And what about a Colt Python! I have only shot to Colt Pythons but they both had one of the best triggers I have ever pulled on a revolver. I almost forgot about Taurus, they make a selection of revolvers. I have never owned any Taurus revolvers but I have heard good things about some of them.
                  Sense, Courtesy, Decency-
                  What ever happened to common?
                  ----------------------------------

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Comment

Originally posted by Brucewj View Post
                    What about Ruger. I love my Single Sixs, GP-100s; Volquero and Blackhawks. And what about a Colt Python! I have only shot to Colt Pythons but they both had one of the best triggers I have ever pulled on a revolver. I almost forgot about Taurus, they make a selection of revolvers. I have never owned any Taurus revolvers but I have heard good things about some of them.
                    Well, Taurus did start on S&W machinery so it's probably appropriate for a Dan Wesson/Smith & Wesson thread. So since you put the handle of the mixing spoon in my hand......... When I pull up the anchor chain on the Jon Boat the concrete bucket is filled with those super tough Rugers to save cash on more concrete. (LOL). But since every Python cost more than 2 S&W's perhaps working folks needed a revolver before they went to work. (LOL) We aren't even going to mention that S&W's supposedly didn't need an empty chamber under the Hammer Nose so 6 rounds vice 5 rounds could have been an even greater factor than twice the price point. (LOL) JMHO.

Comment

There are currently 109 users online. 0 members and 109 guests.

Most users ever online was 769 at 10:54 AM on 04-13-2016.

Working...
                    X