Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!
Learn more about the Taurus firearms here!
Learn more about Heritage Manufacturing here!Learn more about the Rossi firearms here!
Visit Target Sports USA!Visit Stainless Steel Guide Rods!

Announcement

Collapse

Announcement

Consider this an official notice. Posting articles from other sites is fine if you follow 2 simple rules: 1) Only post a small summary of the article. 2) Include a link to the original content with summary. Failure to comply with the above will result in a warning. Repeated violations will result in you being banned. These days more and more original content is being placed directly on websites. In order to combat copyright protection and maintain ownership of content, sites are employing people to hunt down unauthorized reposts and contacting those sites with warnings. Posting someone else's content harms them in several ways, most of all the circumventing of their sites and thus the loss of traffic. This is becoming more serious of an offense across the internet and lawsuits are becoming common. Understanding the simple rules posted above will not only help this site, but also those who are creating content. It will also keep you from being sued as this site is a 3rd party engine, meaning YOU are responsible for the copyright violation, not us. We will always abide by author requests to remove content.
See more
See less

Bolt gun set up.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt gun set up.

I've never been a hunter & mostly shoot pistols but I've been wanting my first bolt action rifle more & more lately. Adding a scope to my AR recently sealed the deal for me. I ordered a Leupold VX-3i LRP 4.5-14x50 FFP scope & a Remington 700 R5 milspec 308 with a 24" barrel. Ideally I would like to be shooting it at 300-600 yards & maybe further if I get the skill. The only problem is the ranges that are really close top out at 100 yards & my buddy's property has 200 yards available so I will be shooting at that range also. My scope has a total of 110moa elevation adjustment. Should I mount a 20moa scope base or will a 0moa base a better idea? 55moa in both directions sounds like a lot to me but I'm not sure. The scope will be here soon & the rifle should be a few weeks so I haven't bought the base or rings yet.
    "I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry

I had a Remington 700 VLS in 308 Win. with a Leopold Varx III 3.5 x 10-40 that a used a tree stand gun and occasionally tried 500 yrd shooting....you have a nice setup

Comment

Originally posted by 257 roberts View Post
      I had a Remington 700 VLS in 308 Win. with a Leopold Varx III 3.5 x 10-40 that a used a tree stand gun and occasionally tried 500 yrd shooting....you have a nice setup
      Thanks. Do you think it will require a 20 MOA scope base if I every shoot 700-100 yards?
      "I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry

Comment

I have the same gun. I shoot Federal Gold Medal Match 175g out to 1000 yards. My drop at 1000 yards is 376 inches. Roughly 37 moa. If after you zero at 100 yards you still have 55 moa you should be forced be out to 1000. Joel

Comment

Good out to 1000. I hate auto correct

Comment

Originally posted by jclark View Post
            Good out to 1000. I hate auto correct
            Awesome, thanks!

Comment

I went ahead and ordered a 0 moa base & some rings today from LaRue.

Comment

Manatee Gun and Archery Range
                1805 Logue Rd, Myakka City, FL 34251

They have a 1000 yard range. I used to shoot my Viper XL there when I could make the drive. It should be about 60 miles for you.

John
                I will not lay down.
                I WILL, however, assume a prone firing position if necessary!

Comment

I shot out to 500 yards...very humbling experience lol

Comment

Originally posted by onebigelf View Post
                    Manatee Gun and Archery Range
                    1805 Logue Rd, Myakka City, FL 34251

They have a 1000 yard range. I used to shoot my Viper XL there when I could make the drive. It should be about 60 miles for you.

John
                    That is where I plan to try my luck. I do not think I will be going for 1000 anytime soon. I have never shot over 100 yards so I will start there & work my way up. The scope & accouterments are all here or will be by tomorrow. I am very pleased with the Leupold VX-3i LRP even though I'm just holding it like an old pirate looking for booty. It should only be a few more weeks & I will have the rifle ready to hit the range. I've heard a lot of mixed opinions on barrel break in but I'm going to do it. I figure that it can't hurt to do it for at least 20 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by 257 roberts View Post
                      I shot out to 500 yards...very humbling experience lol
                      I can imagine. So many factors to account for. I'm up for the challenge but my wallet might not be.

Comment

Got the FedEx notification that my rifle will be at my FFL tomorrow. I'm excited to get my scope mounted & get it sighted in this weekend. I'm planning on sighting it in a 100 yds.

Comment

Great, have fun!
                          Go, Trump, Go!

Comment

I know long range relationships are frowned upon but I'm going for it! I picked up the Remington 700 SS 5R Mil-Spec .308 last night & I could not be happier with the fit & finish. I will say that it was the dirtiest new gun that I have ever unboxed. Once I put my son to bed for the night I went straight to work mounting the scope. I used a LaRue Tactical LT113-S 0 MOA picatinny rail & LaRue Tactical LT719 VFZ scope rings to mount the Leupold VX-3i LRP 4.5-14x50 scope. I chose the VFZ option on the rings because I don't see the need to quickly detach the scope on this rifle. The Triad Tactical stock pad I ordered fits great after a few minutes of adjustment time & is very comfortable. I am super excited to get this bad girl out to the range this weekend. A bi-pod will be my next purchase...lots of ammo too.

Comment

Sexy!! Any trigger swap possibilities? I really liked the Timney I had on my 700.
                              Go, Trump, Go!

Comment

There are currently 78 users online. 1 members and 77 guests.

Most users ever online was 769 at 10:54 AM on 04-13-2016.

Working...
                              X