Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!
Learn more about the Taurus firearms here!Learn more about the Diamondback Firearms here!
Learn more about Heritage Manufactoring here!Learn more about the Rossi firearms here!
Visit Target Sports USA!Visit Stainless Steel Guide Rods!

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Consider this an official notice.Posting articles from other sites is fine if you follow 2 simple rules:1) Only post a small summary of the article.2) Include a link to the original content with summary.Failure to comply with the above will result in a warning. Repeated violations will result in you being banned.These days more and more original content is being placed directly on websites. In order to combat copyright protection and maintain ownership of content, sites are employing people to hunt down unauthorized repost and contacting those sites with warnings. Posting someone else's content harms them in several ways, most of all the circumventing of their sites and thus the loss of traffic. This is becoming more serious of an offense across the internet and lawsuits are becoming common. Understanding the simple rules posted above will not only help this site, but also those who are creating content. It will also keep you from being sued as this site is a 3rd party engine, meaning YOU are responsible for the copyright violation, not us. We will always abide by author requests to remove content.
See more
See less

45 Colt in a .410 shotgun

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 Colt in a .410 shotgun

I notice that .410 handguns and .410 shotguns such as the Rossi Circuit Judge also shoot the 45 Colt bullet. Does this mean I can fire 45 Colt bullets from my older Western Field .410 gauge shotgun?

If not, can you explain to me in detail why I cant?

Good question!
    The Big Kahuna

God Bless America

Comment

Simple answer is no don't do it. The Taurus Judge was designed by the engineers around the .45 Colt cartridge. A shot gun being of thinner metals can not withstand the preasures of todays .45 Colts. I know some of the old farmers use to slip a .45 Colt in a 410 to do in downed animals but that was many years ago. They were using some very low preasure ammo. Plus most shotties will not chamber a .45 Colt. They will stick out some.
      Last edited by Baldy; 10-24-2012, 09:44 AM. Reason: spelling

The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his/her rifle.

Comment

If I fire a .410 slug through the same shotgun, isn't that the same as firing a .45 Colt through it?
        I always thought the .410 slug was the same size as the .45 Colt. I just want to be sure.

Comment

It seems that Mossberg might have made these. From a web forum:

Montgomery Wards contracted Mossberg to manufacture many of the Western Field guns. Western Field model 15 is actually a Mossberg model 80.

While it is not known the years that Mossberg shipped these guns to Montgomery Wards, it is known that Mossberg produced the model 80 gun between 1933 and 1946.

If this applies to you, I would see what Mossberg has to say. If the .45LC case doesn't fit well it will probably rupture. You could try a low-pressure "cowboy" load but I would do what we used to do when we weren't sure if a gun was any good - tie the gun to a tree and fire it with a LONG string from behind another tree. No way I would want to be near it.
          NRA Life Member
          SAF Life Member

Comment

A .45 Colt bullet is .452 diameter, a .410, is, well, .410.
            The Big Kahuna

God Bless America

Comment

GSPKurt, Then why are there guns like the Rossi Circuit Judge made to fire both types of rounds through the same cylinder?

Comment

Surely firing a bullet though a smoothbore will result in no spin stabilization at all due to the lack of rifling, making it all but useless beyond contact range. Shotgun Slugs are designed to be front heavy or aerodynamically shaped for stabilized flight. All 410/45LC handguns and long guns have rifled barrels.

Comment

Rekstout,
                  Thank you for an answer that finally makes sense to me. I appreciate it.
                  So slugs only. I can deal with that.

Comment

You've answered you're own question when you ask about why are some guns "made to fire both types of rounds through the same cylinder."

Because they're "made" (designed) to fire both calipers, and an old .410 shotgun isn't; the bore is further constricted with a choke, and it's designed to fire .410 ammunition.

Take a set of calipers to your .410's bore at the muzzle. I'll bet it mikes a good bit less than .452.

Rick

Comment

Can always drop a bullet down the barrel.
                      NRA Life Member
                      SAF Life Member

Comment

The Judge/Circuit Judges have rifled barrels, or they would be classified as Short-Barreled Shotguns. Rekstout beat me to it.
                        The Big Kahuna

God Bless America

Comment

The Judge et al were designed to fire the 45 LC first and foremost. For grins and giggles, they lengthened the chambers to accommodate a 410 shotshell. 410s operate at half the pressure of a 45. Trying to squeeze a 45 down a 410 bore would be catastrophic. If you value your eyes, hands, and possibly your life, do NOT shoot 45lc in a 410 gun

Comment

Some people listen to advice and others just got to PE? on the electric fence...

The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his/her rifle.

Comment

The reason you can shoot a .410 from a 45lc gun is the shot and wad are smaller in diameter and won't really engage the rifling of the 45LC barrel.
                              Going the other way round is not going to work though, because now you are trying to push a .452 chunk of lead through a smooth tube designed for a smaller ball. Maybe the bore is just big enough, maybe not. But with no rifling to spin the bullet, and with the larger bearing area on the cylindrical bullet vs. a round ball, it won't take much for the bullet to try and tumble in the bore if things are a bit tight. The results of that would be devastating.
                              T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L.

"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Jeff Cooper

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                              Working...
                              X