Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!
Learn more about the Taurus firearms here!
Learn more about Heritage Manufacturing here!Learn more about the Rossi firearms here!
Visit Target Sports USA!Visit Stainless Steel Guide Rods!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sporting clays question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sporting clays question.

This is actually a question about shooting clays in general. I just bought an 870 with a 28" barrel. My wife & I would like to try shooting some clays. Neither of us have ever tried & it looks fun. Is there a specific choke I should get or will the one that comes with the 870 be ok? Is there a certain type of ammo I should use or will the cheap Walmart stuff do as long as I get the right shot size? I got her a recoil pad for her shoulder so she doesn't hate it immediately. Other than safety equipment is there anything a beginner needs other than ammo & a shotgun? Thanks in advance.
    "I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry

I would try to get an Improved Cylinder choke tube.
    Get the cheap game loads from Walmart in 7 1/2 or 8 shot, 1 1/8 ounce. For God's sake, don't get the pink ones.
    You'll be ok, but if you stay with it you will outgrow a pump gun real fast. Most everyone shoots a semi-auto or over/under. Your wife would probably like a 20 ga semi-auto for herself.
    Maybe get a lesson from an instructor before you develop bad habits.
    President Trump IS My President!

Comment

Originally posted by GSPKurt View Post
      I would try to get an Improved Cylinder choke tube.
      Get the cheap game loads from Walmart in 7 1/2 or 8 shot, 1 1/8 ounce. For God's sake, don't get the pink ones.
      You'll be ok, but if you stay with it you will outgrow a pump gun real fast. Most everyone shoots a semi-auto or over/under. Your wife would probably like a 20 ga semi-auto for herself.
      Maybe get a lesson from an instructor before you develop bad habits.
      I already knew a pump action is not the way to go but it will allow us to test the water before making a big investment. We did discuss a lesson as well. Thanks.
      "I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry

Comment

Congrats for trying it and getting your wife to go along. Two things - adding a recoil pad will most likely make it TOO long for your wife and she won't like shooting it. Depending where you're going, many clubs have rental guns, including ones with shorter stocks designed for women and kids. Secondly, the cheap walmart stuff will work; HOWEVER, it is generally 1-1/8oz loads and those can have a lot of recoil. especially if the gun doesn't fit her. Look for some of the Winchester AA trainer loads that run about 980fps. Soft shooting and should break any clay out there when you POINT the gun in the right direction - no rifle sighting/aiming please.

If you are near Fishhawk, a good friend of mine helps kids and ladies get started. He's a British certified coach and instructor. Send me a PM if you want his name and number

Comment

Originally posted by BigDinFl View Post
          Congrats for trying it and getting your wife to go along. Two things - adding a recoil pad will most likely make it TOO long for your wife and she won't like shooting it. Depending where you're going, many clubs have rental guns, including ones with shorter stocks designed for women and kids. Secondly, the cheap walmart stuff will work; HOWEVER, it is generally 1-1/8oz loads and those can have a lot of recoil. especially if the gun doesn't fit her. Look for some of the Winchester AA trainer loads that run about 980fps. Soft shooting and should break any clay out there when you POINT the gun in the right direction - no rifle sighting/aiming please.

If you are near Fishhawk, a good friend of mine helps kids and ladies get started. He's a British certified coach and instructor. Send me a PM if you want his name and number
          Thank you! The recoil pad I got her is one of the wearable types. I will take a look around for the AA trainer loads this weekend. We actually live in Brandon & were planning on going to Fishhawk.

Comment

Call and see if Roger Gascoigne will be there and when; tell him Don gave you his name

Comment

There are currently 108 users online. 3 members and 105 guests.

Most users ever online was 769 at 10:54 AM on 04-13-2016.

Working...
            X