Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!
Learn more about the Taurus firearms here!
Learn more about Heritage Manufacturing here!Learn more about the Rossi firearms here!
Visit Target Sports USA!Visit Stainless Steel Guide Rods!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carry With One In The Chamber Or Not?? Whats The Time Difference.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carry With One In The Chamber Or Not?? Whats The Time Difference.

This may surprise you and help you decide which way is best for your carry needs.

Read and comment.

http://concealednation.org/2016/03/t...amber-and-not/

A couple more points to consider.

Even if you are not in a hurry to draw and fire, racking the slide makes noise. There may be times when you don't want to call attention to yourself with a distinctive sound.
    I carry a gun with a safety so there is yet another step to take to make the gun fire.
    Doing something that takes two hands may not always be possible. If your off arm is being held, its hard to rack the slide.

When I was new to CC I did not chamber a round. I wanted to make it as hard as possible to fire because I figured it was an absolute last resort, I also reasoned that the act of racking the slide might be a deterrent in itself. As I grew more confident, having a loaded weapon makes more sense.

I try to imagine scenarios where I might have to draw. Three seconds to make the gun ready to fire is way too long in most of them.

Comment

Didn't read it....my carry guns are always loaded

Comment

If you don't keep it loaded leave it in the safe

Comment

Have you ever started to write a response to one of these things, looked at it before you posted and thought, "I don't want to tell people this....".

John

I will not lay down.
          I WILL, however, assume a prone firing position if necessary!

Comment

Originally posted by onebigelf View Post
            Have you ever started to write a response to one of these things, looked at it before you posted and thought, "I don't want to tell people this....".

John

Too funny!
            Go, Trump, Go!

Comment

Without out one in the chamber all you have is an expensive rock. The proper and well made holster is a must.
              The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his/her rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by Coops View Post
                When I was new to CC I did not chamber a round. I wanted to make it as hard as possible to fire because I figured it was an absolute last resort, I also reasoned that the act of racking the slide might be a deterrent in itself. As I grew more confident, having a loaded weapon makes more sense.
                yea, that was me too, feel stupid about it now, but I somehow think it is not that unusual for the person new to carrying. It is quite a bit of responsibility.

Springfield 9mm Subcompact

Comment

Just bought a S&W 9mm shield no safety on it just remember IF you have to draw keep your finger off the trigger untill you need it

Comment

If I have to draw a weapon, it will fire. I must be prepared at all times
                    Why do I carry? Somebody else will pick the day I need my gun, not me.

Comment

People who carry with an empty chamber suffer from a lack of training and confidence in their ability to safely handle and operate their firearm. My 2 cents.
                      "It's Easier to Avoid Conflict than it is to Survive It" - SGB

Comment

Originally posted by repair View Post
                        IF you have to draw keep your finger off the trigger untill you need it
                        Not the most elegant phrase but KEEP YOUR BUGGER HOOK OFF THE BANG SWITCH TILL THE SIGHTS ARE ON TARGET!

Comment

Originally posted by Baldy View Post
                          Without out one in the chamber all you have is an expensive rock. The proper and well made holster is a must.
                          Hey, yanno, some people like the really good rocks, well made, accurate.
                          IMO, a person should decide for themselves which system can be trusted
                          with a round in the pipe. But they have to get past that hurdle, at some
                          point.

Look at it like this, though, if your chamber is empty, it may be a few seconds
                          more response time. But it's still faster than the police you called 7, 8, 9
                          minutes ago, and counting.
                          Last edited by Danoobie; 05-18-2017, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by S G B View Post
                            People who carry with an empty chamber suffer from a lack of training and confidence in their ability to safely handle and operate their firearm. My 2 cents.
                            +1!..

Comment

Originally posted by S G B View Post
                              For MANY years (20 years?), I carried a Charter Arms Bulldog, Undercover revolver, in .38 spl., with a 2" barrel that was made in the early 80's, and a 6 shot cylinder. I loaded 5 and always left the hammer on an empty cylinder. Since I started carrying a pistol, it is always ready to fire
                              Why do I carry? Somebody else will pick the day I need my gun, not me.

Comment

There are currently 89 users online. 0 members and 89 guests.

Most users ever online was 769 at 10:54 AM on 04-13-2016.

Working...
                              X