Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!
Learn more about the Taurus firearms here!
Learn more about Heritage Manufacturing here!Learn more about the Rossi firearms here!
Visit Target Sports USA!Visit Stainless Steel Guide Rods!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Carry Arguement...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Carry Arguement...

I saw this thread and found it very interesting...

http://ingunowners.com/forums/carry-...-argument.html

thoughts????
    Springfield 9mm Subcompact

I read it but still wouldn't open carry

Comment

If you decide to open carry, be prepared for bad guys to try to knock you down and take your candy away
      Why do I carry? Somebody else will pick the day I need my gun, not me.

Comment

Exactly............open carry IMO, is ludicrous.

Comment

Well, here's another view. I prefer open carry, even here in Florida and have done so every day for the last 4 years or so. I also open carry around the country when on my annual motorcycle vacation with zero problems.

Open carry is not for everyone. Not everyone feels comfortable doing it and it does take time to get used to it. I am no exception. When I first started this practice I was about as aprehensive as anyone, but with time and familiarity, it becomes quite natural. It's no worse that seeing everybody's iPhone 6 on their belts!

I would have written a much longer reply but after the third time I got dumped with some kind of "Invalid Server" error, I figured this will have to do for now.

Open Carry. It's comfortable and amazingly, LEGAL, here in Florida under a specific set of circumstances, most of which I meet all day long.

AD (most of my open carry is while on the motorcycle)
          Last edited by ADulay; 04-25-2015, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Open carry in FL has a limited legal opportunity, and is a good way to have someone call about a MWAG.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDinFl View Post
              Open carry in FL has a limited legal opportunity, and is a good way to have someone call about a MWAG.
              It was recently brought to the appeals court that guy in FL arrested for open carrying and the courts ruled against him.

I'm likely moving back to FL sometime this year and won't be! I probably will buy a smaller pistol too that conceals better because I usually carry commander sized 1911s and 4 inch or longer barrel pistols. Here in Missouri I don't worry about if I accidently print or the gun shows because it's legal for me anywhere in the state to open carry. However in FL that would likely get the police called if someone sees it or arrested for open carry.

Comment

This is what I posted in another thread, but just thought the OP in this other thread had some points worth discussing...

I often think many people that are pro gun but against open carry, decided that because they believe they will be the only one, or one of only a few. I think the perspective changes dramatically when we think of the majority of people open carrying. Then reasons like soccer moms panicking or feeling like a target hold no water to me. To me, and this is just my opinion, we feed into what the libs want. That is to think we would be concerned to (as in becoming a target) or don't really want to flaunt the fact that we can all go through our daily lives armed, that we want to be secretive about exercising our right to bear arms. It gives them ammo to legislate and limit your ability to be armed, and then they can continue until we can't carry at all. If 80%+ of all adults were carrying would you still want to argue, "I want to conceal to have the element of surprise"? Or do you now become a more inviting target BECAUSE you aren't open carrying? Are you now the object of discussion as in "he is the only one here not armed". Just some thoughts.

I think a case like Texas needs to be watched. If open carry is passed and large numbers begin to open carry, in a year or so will it be a non issue? In three years? Five?
                Will it become acceptable over time that no one thinks twice about it anymore? To the point where those that don't OC stick out? But, someone, or some people have to be the first to do it to begin changing the public attitudes towards it. Sure, they need to be responsible about it, just as when you conceal carry, and you practice proper gun safety, just as when you conceal carry, and to me, the more that do, the more acceptable it becomes, and maybe even more become gun owners because of it. Then maybe other states think, gee, they all do it there, and they aren't shooting each other up in the streets daily, and maybe crime has gone down, and the streets are safer, so maybe, just maybe we need to rethink this whole banning guns crap?

So maybe instead of worrying about being stealthy and having the element of surprise, you learn to be more aware of your surroundings, you open carry responsibly, you set the example of what we all really want and are, not by telling, but my actions, showing the world we are not "gun nuts" and are helping to keep ourselves, our family, and those around us a bit safer?

Having more people that you pass day to day open carrying than not makes all the difference in the world in the eyes of everyone, gun owners and not. Let's not focus on the few cases of individuals waling about with the "AR's strapped to their backs" to mar what the 2A stands for, which is that each and everyone one of us can walk down the street armed and not feel threatened or chastised because of it. Let the anti gun folk focus on those few cases as ammo for THEIR argument, not ours.

Comment

Not trying to argue with anyone, I do feel its a personal choice, but not so happy that this choice is take away from citizens.

Comment

Open carry does not fit my personality. I am an introvert. I spend most of my time in public trying to be invisible. So sticking a neon sign on my waist is not something I am looking to do.
                    On the other hand, I have no problem at all with others doing it. I see the pros and cons and I believe in the right to carry in any way you want.

Comment

So, and I'm just asking, if 90% of the people in public were open carrying, would you feel like you stuck out as one of the few who wasn't carrying? Or more easily targeted as a potential victim?

Comment

Originally posted by BigDinFl View Post

One would think that would be the case, but in reality, it's just not so. I personally have been "called in" by a citizen exactly ONCE in the years I've been doing this. I was putting on a cover garment in the parking lot of a Wendy's and somebody saw me. Evidently they called the local LE and they showed up about 10 minutes later. They approached me at the table where I was eating, asked about a concealed sidearm. I gave them my DL and Carry permit and they went on their way. Not a problem at all.

The truth of the matter is that most people do not even notice the sidearm. It's not a "slung AR" I'm talking about here. It's my every day EDC in a proper holster in the place where my cell phone should be.

AD

Comment

Originally posted by RepublicanVoter View Post

It was recently brought to the appeals court that guy in FL arrested for open carrying and the courts ruled against him.

I'm likely moving back to FL sometime this year and won't be! I probably will buy a smaller pistol too that conceals better because I usually carry commander sized 1911s and 4 inch or longer barrel pistols. Here in Missouri I don't worry about if I accidently print or the gun shows because it's legal for me anywhere in the state to open carry. However in FL that would likely get the police called if someone sees it or arrested for open carry.
                          If it's the same case I'm thinking of, he didn't legally meet the requirements for open carry in Florida. Actually that was a test case for some other legal status and the fact that he was open carrying is probably secondary to the case in question.

Also, as to Missouri, I do enjoy making the run through the state on my annual trip. Open carried many times there with ZERO problems. Even in the local burger joints near the hotels. Had a few LE's look at us when we would walk in, but they didn't say or do anything. I'm sure our plates were checked on the way out, but nothing obvious while were in their collective sight.

AD

Comment

Heck, as long as it's Sunday morning and I don't have to be at the range until later this afternoon, I may as well add this to the discussion.

When I first started to open carry, most, if not all of my friends pretty much summed up their thoughts with "Man, you're going to get arrested for that". Obviously none of them understood the odd set of Florida statutes that we're dealing with on a daily basis. If you meet the requirements to open carry, the LAW says it's OK to open carry. It's in black and white.

The next argument is always "Man, I don't want to be hassled by the police every day". Obviously that was a thought, but as I respect the law and not fear the law, this was not a problem. Yes, I have been stopped on the street in traffic (now about 3 times a year) to be questioned about the openly carried sidearm. Once I explain that I'm headed to the range (or coming back) the law is satisfied and we both go on our way.

Most of my friends still say I'm crazy to do this, but they deal with it and we all move on in our daily lives.

I have noticed that more fishermen than shooters will ask me about the openly carried sidearm when they see it a few times. Almost every single fishing person remarks that they have never heard of the statute that allows open carry while fishing but I give it to them and they dutifully pull it up on their iPhone 6 and read it for themselves. Of course, a lot of the people you meet fishing at 1am usually aren't legally allowed to own a sidearm, so the point is moot on them.

The bottom line, at least for me, is that open carry is better way FOR ME to carry my sidearm. Yes, I have to use a pocket holster from time to time when the wife signs us up for some charity dinner/dance thing, but sometimes there is just no way around it.

Open carry is not something most people will gravitate to. Even if it became legal tomorrow, you would see very few open carriers because of the "stigma" attached to guns in general and the overall feeling that people are "looking at me". Really, that feeling goes away soon enough. Most people don't notice it and the ones that do, don't care. It does take a bit of time to really get comfortable with it, but once you do, you'll wonder why in the heck you ever jammed a gun down your pants all day long.

AD

Comment

Here in Missouri I don't worry about if I accidently print or the gun shows because it's legal for me anywhere in the state to open carry. However in FL that would likely get the police called if someone sees it or arrested for open carry.
                              Same here, an accidental showing as in a wind blowing your jacket open.

One would think that would be the case, but in reality, it's just not so. I personally have been "called in" by a citizen exactly ONCE in the years I've been doing this. I was putting on a cover garment in the parking lot of a Wendy's and somebody saw me
                              That is NOT the same as walking down I drive in Orlando, or wandering around a park with ten soccer fields full of kids and moms.

Comment

There are currently 97 users online. 0 members and 97 guests.

Most users ever online was 769 at 10:54 AM on 04-13-2016.

Working...
                              X