Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!
Learn more about the Taurus firearms here!Learn more about the Diamondback Firearms here!
Learn more about Heritage Manufactoring here!Learn more about the Rossi firearms here!
Visit Target Sports USA!Visit Stainless Steel Guide Rods!

Announcement

Collapse

Announcement

Consider this an official notice.Posting articles from other sites is fine if you follow 2 simple rules:1) Only post a small summary of the article.2) Include a link to the original content with summary.Failure to comply with the above will result in a warning. Repeated violations will result in you being banned.These days more and more original content is being placed directly on websites. In order to combat copyright protection and maintain ownership of content, sites are employing people to hunt down unauthorized repost and contacting those sites with warnings. Posting someone else's content harms them in several ways, most of all the circumventing of their sites and thus the loss of traffic. This is becoming more serious of an offense across the internet and lawsuits are becoming common. Understanding the simple rules posted above will not only help this site, but also those who are creating content. It will also keep you from being sued as this site is a 3rd party engine, meaning YOU are responsible for the copyright violation, not us. We will always abide by author requests to remove content.
See more
See less

Body Armor In Public

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Armor In Public

Is there any laws in Florida that prohibit or control the wearing of body armor in public?

does anyone have any good recommendations for body armor purchases? Been looking on ebay but it is hard to figure out what is 'knock off fake crap' vs the real deal.

Thanks

Price will be your best indicator of real vs. knockoff. If it's cheap... It's cheap.
    The Big Kahuna

God Bless America

Comment

Have you ever actually worn body armor? It is heavy, hot and uncomfortable. It restricts your movement, and there is very little way that you can keep it hidden in the Florida heat. There is a good reason why it is a never-ending battle to get cops to wear it, even in uniform.
      Dr John Meade
      Director of Tactical Medicine
      Suarez International

Click here for all my posted SI classes

Comment

t is legal to wear body armor in Florida, unless you are in the commission of a crime.

+1 for Bama"s post.....

However be advised, several courts have ruled during the trials and on appeals that when persons are observed wearing a vest or possessing one in a vehicle that officers have a reasonable suspicion that " a crime is afoot" and can further investigate.

Look at a police website if you're interested in a vest. Galls, and Striechers are a couple you can search. I wouldn't buy off e-bay. Look into a used vest from a former officer or someone that is upgrading to a different one. Second Chance, ABA, Point Blank, Galls Gold, Safariland, are good as are some others.
        You may not like guns, and chose not to own one. That is your right. You might not believe in God. That is your choice. However, if someone breaks into your home, the first two things you're going to do are, 1) Call someone with a gun, 2) Pray they get there in time.

Comment

Originally posted by bama View Post
          Have you ever actually worn body armor? It is heavy, hot and uncomfortable. It restricts your movement, and there is very little way that you can keep it hidden in the Florida heat. There is a good reason why it is a never-ending battle to get cops to wear it, even in uniform.

what he said

Comment

Even the latest and greatest are a pain in the a** to wear. No matter how much you spend it still limits your movement and is hot as heck. The only thing exspensive ones do is limit the weight you wear and have better shock plates. They only protect against pistol calibers, a Deputy was killed wearing his when a 5.56mm hit him in the chest. I dont like wearing mine and I have the latest safariland. And dont forget the biggie, they dont protect your mellon.
            "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future."
            Adolf Hitler, 1935

Comment

When I was a LEO, my department required body armor, in uniform. (So Cal) and supplied Second chance brand. I absolutly hated it. I'm a big 'ol boy, 6' 4" 240Lbs, and just getting in to, and out of the patrol units, (late 70's malibu's) was a trial. I didn't start many foot chases, lol.

To the average citizen, I looked like the michilen tire man. After 6 months or so of constant bitchin', the Sheriff finally relented, and left it to the Deputy's discretion. Most of the SWAT guy's and warrant service troops kept them on hand, but not for everyday wear.

I doubt I'll ever don body armor again, I work on living in a relaxed condition one posture, while dressing for the heat. Personally, I think the BA gives a false sense of security. Not a good tradeoff, in my book, for the weight, restricted mobility and sweat.

Now, if I was kickin' doors for a living, I'd look into the Viet Nam era flack vests, with 'Gator Hide panals or hard plates. much more user friendly... Paul
              If it turns $$$ into smoke and noise, I'm there.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/SERB-ARMY-KEVLAR...item483bd18188

Thanks for the interesting idea red caddy

Comment

sorry but wearing body armor for what reason?

Comment

SHTF Day, not everyday fashion :)

Comment

Originally posted by bonjorno2 View Post
                      sorry but wearing body armor for what reason?
                      Originally posted by APG View Post
                      SHTF Day, not everyday fashion :)
                      If the SHTF to the point I am wearing body armor, I will be carrying a rifle, too, and not remotely worried about being covert.
                      Dr John Meade
                      Suarez International

Comment

Yeah im not really sure where the 'covert' part got added to this, my question was 1) any laws saying you cant wear it in public 2) good brand recommendations.

Comment

Originally posted by APG View Post
                          Yeah im not really sure where the 'covert' part got added to this, my question was 1) any laws saying you cant wear it in public 2) good brand recommendations.
                          OK, then I will clarify. If I am in a SHTF situation, I may choose to wear my body armor, and not remotely care who sees it. By definition, in such a situation, you are unlikely to have cops on routine patrol, looking to bust people for such things. If it has settled down, with Nat Guard troops roaming, take off the armor.
                          Dr John Meade
                          Suarez International

Comment

If it's SHTF situation then all bets are off. Anything is game, it'll be survival of the fittest.
                            "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future."
                            Adolf Hitler, 1935

Comment

Found this...

http://www.miguelcaballerousa.com/in...ategories.html
                              NUNYA....

"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither" -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

There are currently 61 users online. 1 members and 60 guests.

Most users ever online was 342 at 11:57 PM on 10-11-2015.

Working...
                              X