Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!
Learn more about the Taurus firearms here!Learn more about Heritage Manufacturing here!Learn more about the Rossi firearms here!
Visit Target Sports USA!Visit Stainless Steel Guide Rods!

Announcement

Collapse

Announcement

Consider this an official notice.Posting articles from other sites is fine if you follow 2 simple rules:1) Only post a small summary of the article.2) Include a link to the original content with summary.Failure to comply with the above will result in a warning. Repeated violations will result in you being banned.These days more and more original content is being placed directly on websites. In order to combat copyright protection and maintain ownership of content, sites are employing people to hunt down unauthorized repost and contacting those sites with warnings. Posting someone else's content harms them in several ways, most of all the circumventing of their sites and thus the loss of traffic. This is becoming more serious of an offense across the internet and lawsuits are becoming common. Understanding the simple rules posted above will not only help this site, but also those who are creating content. It will also keep you from being sued as this site is a 3rd party engine, meaning YOU are responsible for the copyright violation, not us. We will always abide by author requests to remove content.
See more
See less

Florida Law for the Purchase of a Handgun (age 18)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Law for the Purchase of a Handgun (age 18)

Hello all,
    I've seen a whole lot of contradictory information regarding an 18 year-old(me) purchasing a handgun. I've heard that I can buy a handgun in a private sale, but not from a gunshop or via FFL. I've read that I can receive a handgun as a gift, but I've also heard(from a guy dealing with FFL's) that might be considered a staw purchase and therefore a felony.

I'm looking for reliable information from people who know what they're talking about and I hope that would be you guys. Thanks!
    Disclaimer: It was late and I was tired

My First: Springfield XDm 9mm in bitone

The federal laws regarding handgun and handgun ammo sales require you to be 21. In the state of florida you may hunt with one and be in possesion of one lawfully at age 18 I believe. But you cannot purchase any handgun, or the ammo yourself. If I were you I'd ask a LEO(one you trust not just any) or do some digging and find the statutes.
    No bait, no fences or fancy game ranches. Just me, my mauser and the deer!

Comment

I'm sorry, what is a LEO?

Also, could I legally receive the handgun as a gift from my father?

Comment

Go to this site and buy the book. It's the gun laws of Florida wrote by an attorney in common language that's easy to understand.. It helped me a bunch. Good luck..

http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com
        The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his/her rifle.

Comment

I might just buy it. Thanks.

I just read that it's not technically a strawman purchase if it is bought strictly for a gift but and FFL dealer said it was a very fine line between legal and illegal.

Comment

Sorry, LEO = Law Enforcement Officer... Oddly enough a lot of them don't even really know the actual law......
            No bait, no fences or fancy game ranches. Just me, my mauser and the deer!

Comment

It is completely legal for you to buy a handgun from a private party in Florida at the age of 18.

It is not legal for you to buy a handgun from a federal dealer (FFL).

You can buy one from your neighbor, a friend, or a stranger at a gun show.

You can legally have one gifted to you also. This is not a straw purchase because you have not given someone money to buy a gun for you. It is a gift. There is no fine line.... Tell him to read the book!

It is also legal for you to carry it in your car. You may place the loaded handgun in your closed glove compartment without breaking the law.

Just because someone is a LEO doesn't mean they have the slighest idea of what is legal and what isn't concerning guns.

What you need to do before you go any farther is buy Gutmachers book and read it. Then there is no question of what you can or can't do.

I really get aggrevated by people who are in a position to know things and have no knowledge except what they have "heard".

Don

Comment

As far as ammo is concerned....

You may not buy handgun ammo under 21 but you can buy long gun ammo.

There are handguns and rifles that both shoot the same ammunition.

If they ask if it is for a handgun or a long gun at the register tell them it is for a rifle.... that will make them happy and they will take your money.

Don

Comment

+1 on everything that Don said...SOLID information.

If I were you, I'd print out the exact law and keep it handy at all times.

When you do go about purchasing a firearm from a private party, its always good to have a bill of sale accompany the transaction. That way if SHTF and you get a knock on the door you have proof of where it came from.

Also, while were at it & just so you know-
                  You are allowed to carry concealed or openly when you are at work, given you have received permission from the bossman.

If they give you trouble at hellmart tell them its for a carbine ;)

Comment

BangBang, you know your stuff. Thank you very much. And thanks to everyone else.

Would it be okay if I helped pay but it's still a gift? I assume it's fine, but I thought I'd ask. I will be buying the book also.

Thanks again
                    ~KG

Comment

If you give money to someone to purchase the handgun then that IS a straw purchase, that IS illegal.
                      It must be a gift, plain and simple, no other strings attached.
                      NUNYA....

"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither" -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Well that's a flawed system.

Thanks for the answer anyway!

Comment

Not to totally hijack the thread, but... I've also been receiving a lot of bad information about this topic recently (researching for my 18 year old brother). I've had dealers tell me that I can't gift a handgun to him. Just this evening, during a CWP course I had both instructors give me somewhat conflicting advise. One told me that they (18-20) can only inherit a handgun. The other admitted that its possible to gift, but both told me that while the 18 year old can legally *own* a handgun in these situations, he/she cannot legally transport it in their vehicles. Also, upon further questioning, one said that the 18 year old cannot really even use the weapon in most cases because they would not have ammunition as they can't purchase it and (his words) it can't be gifted to them.

I really don't understand why so many people who *should* know don't seem to actually know the law and give terrible advice. There just seems to be this proliferation of misinformation regarding 18-20 year olds and handguns.

As near as I can tell from my own research:
                          Adults age 18-20 in FL...
                          - may *not* purchase a handgun or handgun ammunition from a FFL
                          - may own a handgun if it was gifted to them or inherited
                          - may be given handgun ammunition
                          - may transport the handgun in their vehicle if it's securely encased
                          - may open carry on the way to a range
                          - etc, etc

In short, 18-20 year old adults have all of the rights (for lack of a better word) as 21+ year old adults except for purchasing and CWP (and maybe other things?)

Can anyone confirm or refute the above statements?

Comment

Originally posted by jbrantly View Post
                            Not to totally hijack the thread, but... I've also been receiving a lot of bad information about this topic recently (researching for my 18 year old brother). I've had dealers tell me that I can't gift a handgun to him. Just this evening, during a CWP course I had both instructors give me somewhat conflicting advise. One told me that they (18-20) can only inherit a handgun. The other admitted that its possible to gift, but both told me that while the 18 year old can legally *own* a handgun in these situations, he/she cannot legally transport it in their vehicles. Also, upon further questioning, one said that the 18 year old cannot really even use the weapon in most cases because they would not have ammunition as they can't purchase it and (his words) it can't be gifted to them.

I really don't understand why so many people who *should* know don't seem to actually know the law and give terrible advice. There just seems to be this proliferation of misinformation regarding 18-20 year olds and handguns.

As near as I can tell from my own research:
                            Adults age 18-20 in FL...
                            - may *not* purchase a handgun or handgun ammunition from a FFL
                            - may own a handgun if it was gifted to them or inherited or purchased from a private seller
                            - may be given handgun ammunition or buy it and state is it for a rifle
                            - may transport the handgun in their vehicle if it's securely encased
                            - may open carry on the way to a range as long as they are willing to be harrassed by the same policemen who don't know the rest of these laws
                            - etc, etc

In short, 18-20 year old adults have all of the rights (for lack of a better word) as 21+ year old adults except for purchasing (from an FFL) and CWP (and maybe other things?)

Can anyone confirm or refute the above statements?
                            I fixed your list. All of your research can be found at FL statutes 790.25, 790.251, and 790.17 along with 18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1)
                            T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L.

"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Jeff Cooper

Comment

That's pretty much in line from what I've learned

Comment

There are currently 118 users online. 0 members and 118 guests.

Most users ever online was 769 at 10:54 AM on 04-13-2016.

Working...
                              X