Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!
Learn more about the Taurus firearms here!Learn more about Heritage Manufacturing here!Learn more about the Rossi firearms here!
Visit Target Sports USA!Visit Stainless Steel Guide Rods!

Announcement

Collapse

Announcement

Consider this an official notice.Posting articles from other sites is fine if you follow 2 simple rules:1) Only post a small summary of the article.2) Include a link to the original content with summary.Failure to comply with the above will result in a warning. Repeated violations will result in you being banned.These days more and more original content is being placed directly on websites. In order to combat copyright protection and maintain ownership of content, sites are employing people to hunt down unauthorized repost and contacting those sites with warnings. Posting someone else's content harms them in several ways, most of all the circumventing of their sites and thus the loss of traffic. This is becoming more serious of an offense across the internet and lawsuits are becoming common. Understanding the simple rules posted above will not only help this site, but also those who are creating content. It will also keep you from being sued as this site is a 3rd party engine, meaning YOU are responsible for the copyright violation, not us. We will always abide by author requests to remove content.
See more
See less

Moving to Florida from NY

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to Florida from NY

Hi all
    I am a new bee here. I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I just purchased a House in Lake City, Florida. I am planning on moving in the Fall. I have a concealed carry permit in Cattaragus County NY. I am moving to Lake City, FL Columbia County. I would like to bring my hand guns with me and also get a concealed carry permit for FL what do I have to do? I also have some long guns that I want to bring with me is there anything I need to do to bring those as well? Any help would be great.
    Thank you
    Roxanne

Welcome from the swamp. Enjoy..

You might want to check out this post about moving here. Read the whole post.

http://flaguns.com/showthread.php?13...ighlight=State
    The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his/her rifle.

Comment

You don't need to register your guns in Florida. When you move here, just have your guns unloaded and cased. Contact the Florida Dep't. of Agriculture for info on how to obtain an application for a CC permit. You should have no problem getting one here. You will probably need your proof of training, but other than that, no problem.

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to Florida! Lake City is a nice area, I hope you enjoy it here.
      God Bless America!

Comment

Get a non-resident permit NOW.
        When you arrive just tell the DOA your new address.

It's really that simple.

AFS
        There something charming about the sound of bullets-----George Washington

Comment

Thank you all for the info. It sounds like the process will not be to bad.
          I can't wait to get moved. It is still snowing in WNY another white Easter Bah Humbug.
          Have a good one.
          Roxanne

Comment

BTW.
            Welcome to florida.
            As far as guns go it's a whole different place.
            Once you get through a hurricane season you're a native

AFS
            There something charming about the sound of bullets-----George Washington

Comment

the op can go to this site and begin the process, he can get his cwfl as a non resident and then just change his address when he gets to FLA.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/app...structions.pdf

Comment

Welcome to Florida, Roxanne. I agree with AFS post #4, but just to add, Fla. recognizes concealed permits from other states until you declare residency. Once you declare residency here, you have to get a Fla. permit (also a Fla. drivers license).

If you are driving and have the guns with you check the laws of the states you'll be passing through for CPL reciprocity (if you plan on having a gun in the car with you), and most states will allow other guns transported in cases or containers.

Also, make sure you apply for the homestead exemption once you declare your residency. It knocks off 25k from the value of your home for tax purposes.
                You may not like guns, and chose not to own one. That is your right. You might not believe in God. That is your choice. However, if someone breaks into your home, the first two things you're going to do are, 1) Call someone with a gun, 2) Pray they get there in time.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Holster View Post
                  Welcome to Florida, Roxanne. I agree with AFS post #4, but just to add, Fla. recognizes concealed permits from other states until you declare residency. Once you declare residency here, you have to get a Fla. permit (also a Fla. drivers license).
                  while you are correct saying fla reciprocates with many states, NY is not one of the out of state permits that fla accepts.
                  If the OP wants to carry concealed in FLA he will need to get his FLA cwfl.
                  in addition as per federal law all states will allow transport through as long as the gun is unloaded and stowed outside of the passenger compartment
                  Last edited by apvbguy; 04-23-2011, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Welcome to Florida and this board. The CCW permit is easy to get. Just a little paperwork and you will be fine!

Comment

I lost everything when I tried to respond to thing a minute ago. Here I go again.

Transferring your hand guns from NY is not quite that simple. The guns are supposed to be transferred out of the state from FFL to FFL. The hand guns are supposed to be removed from your NY permit. You hand them in to a NY FFL in order to have them shipped out of the state. The FFL gives you a receipt for the guns and you take that down to your issuing police department up there in NY. They take the receipt and remove the guns from your permit. Then you surrender your permit (per NYS law).

If you fail to follow the procedure for NY, when you come down to Florida, and after you do something like get a Florida driver license, your NY issuing agency (sometimes state police, sometimes sheriffs office, etc.) will contact your local Florida police department and have them contact you. I don't know what happens beyond that point, but I have heard of the Florida police letting someone know NY was looking for them for not surrendering their NY pistol permit.

I just moved from NY less than six months ago. The long guns are no problem. The hand guns can be an issue, especially since you have to pass the background check again, just to get your guns back.

Good luck.

Comment

I had a Pistol given to me by an Uncle in NY, While on vacation up there I thought I would just "swing in and get it"... WRONG... I ended up having to do what TaurusPT145 did, go to the local FFL and pay to have the Ruger shipped down to Florida. It was the only way to legally remove the weapon from my uncles license. Gotta Love the Commie State of NY... WELCOME to Florida and the Forum!!

XF
                        NRA Life Member

The heck with 911, I use 1911 !!

Comment

Sounds like it is going to be a bit of a hassel on this end. Just like everything in NY. I can't wait till I get the blank out of here. I will call the the County here in NY tomorrow and talk to the pistol permit clerk. Sounds like once I get to Florida things will get easyer.
                          I appreciate all of the replies.
                          Roxanne

Comment

Things are exponentially easier in Florida. If anything, I think its the one thing I like most about Florida.

Comment

I am also a transplant from New York. I was born and raised on Long Island. I would have to say that the only time I could handle a firearm was at my friends house upstate. I also shot some .22 rifles when we went upstate on a ski trip. What I can't believe was how restrictive it was to get a conceal weapons permit up in New York. You had to "sufficiently demonstrated a 'need' to possess a handgun under the circumstances provided. The simple desire to possess a handgun while in New York City, without some other extenuating circumstances, will not serve to present a 'need' suitable to receive authorization." Since I didn't own my own business and carried deposits to the bank, I probably wouldn't have gotten approved for a permit even if I wanted one. Here in Florida I just spent $117 and took a conceal carry class for $45 and I was granted my license. Check out this progression on right to carry for the US:
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rtc.gif

Welcome to Florida Roxanne!

Comment

There are currently 53 users online. 2 members and 51 guests.

Most users ever online was 769 at 10:54 AM on 04-13-2016.

Working...
                              X