Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!
Learn more about the Taurus firearms here!Learn more about the Diamondback Firearms here!Learn more about Heritage Manufactoring here!Learn more about the Rossi firearms here!Visit AdeQ Firearms! Visit Target Sports USA!

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Consider this an official notice.Posting articles from other sites is fine if you follow 2 simple rules:1) Only post a small summary of the article.2) Include a link to the original content with summary.Failure to comply with the above will result in a warning. Repeated violations will result in you being banned.These days more and more original content is being placed directly on websites. In order to combat copyright protection and maintain ownership of content, sites are employing people to hunt down unauthorized repost and contacting those sites with warnings. Posting someone else's content harms them in several ways, most of all the circumventing of their sites and thus the loss of traffic. This is becoming more serious of an offense across the internet and lawsuits are becoming common. Understanding the simple rules posted above will not only help this site, but also those who are creating content. It will also keep you from being sued as this site is a 3rd party engine, meaning YOU are responsible for the copyright violation, not us. We will always abide by author requests to remove content.
See more
See less

Ocala NATIONAL Forest

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocala NATIONAL Forest

I am familiar with Fl. Statutes. However can I carry on "federal" property such as Ocala National Forest. I have a concealed permit but not sure about this. Also, I assume carry in a state forest is O.K. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Jay

Re: Ocala NATIONAL Forest

After a couple of highly publicized murders in Federal forests, I believe that the policy was changed to allow concealed carry with a CCW permit.

Here is a reference-
    (Source- http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/mnf/general_...20NF_Lands.pdf

Laws Regarding Firearms on National Forest Lands
    First, the primary laws governing possession of firearms and other weapons on National Forest are State Laws. These laws were developed by the states following establishment of our Cooperative Wildlife Management Agreements. Most notable of the state laws concerns controlling firearms on the National Forest are “cased gun laws”.
    Cased Gun Laws: As the name implies, this law requires that all firearms on National Forest be unloaded and kept in a case. Virginia and West Virginia have similar “cased gun laws”. In order to allow hunting, these laws make an exception.
    • It is legal to have loaded firearms on National Forest during the authorized general firearms and muzzle loading gun seasons for bear, deer, grouse, pheasant, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, or waterfowl. This exception is very specific and applies only during the period when it is legal to take these listed species and doesn’t include carrying the loaded weapons in a vehicle.
    • Because hunting on Sunday is prohibited, carrying a loaded gun on National Forest is not legal on Sunday even if it is the Sunday in the middle of the general firearms deer season.
    The second exception to this law allows people with a concealed weapon permit to carry a loaded, concealed, handgun either on their person or in their vehicle while on National Forest. This does not apply if the person is engaged in a primitive weapons season or chase only season.
    People muzzle loading or bow hunting may carry a concealed weapon as long as they possess a concealed weapon permit.
    Discharging a firearm, crossbow, or bow and arrow in or across a road or within the right-of-way of any road is prohibited by both State and Federal Law.
    Any person convicted of a felony may not legally possess firearms on National Forest.
    Reckless use or handling firearms: It is a violation of both Federal and State law to handle any firearm in a careless and reckless manner or hunt while under the influence of intoxicants or narcotic drugs.
    Welcome to the forum, BTW.
    The Big Kahuna

God Bless America

Comment

The was change in 2006 for the good of all,the bad boys all ways had guns there now the good one can to. :lol:

http://laws.flrules.org/files/Ch_2006-103.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by drjay9051
        I am familiar with Fl. Statutes...........Also, I assume carry in a state forest is O.K.....Jay
        I'm not certain that carrying in State parks and reserves is legal.
        Does anyone have a definitive answer to this ???

Comment

I'm pretty sure it is, maybe someone with more knowledge can weigh in...
          The Big Kahuna

God Bless America

Comment

Where you cannot CCW in Florida is covered in Fl Statute 790.06

State parks and forests are not listed as an area where you cannot carry.

The full list is in 790.06(12), quoted below.

(12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

Also, Fl. Statute 790.25 specifically nullifies 790.06 and 790.053 for the purposes of hunting, camping and fishing, including going to and from those activities. So if you are in a State park or forest, and you are camping, hunting, or fishing, not only can you CCW, you can also open carry.
            T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L.

"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Jeff Cooper

Comment

Yeah, what HE said.
              The Big Kahuna

God Bless America

Comment

Originally posted by piccolo
                Originally posted by drjay9051
                I am familiar with Fl. Statutes...........Also, I assume carry in a state forest is O.K.....Jay
                I'm not certain that carrying in State parks and reserves is legal.
                Does anyone have a definitive answer to this ???

It is now, JEB signed a '6 pack of freedom' his last year or so in office that included us being allowed to carry in state parks, forests etc

Comment

I would never go to Ocala National Forest unarmed.

A few years ago my son and I were leaving after a weekend of camping and riding our four wheelers. Rounded a curve and came upon a road block by LEO's, checked us out, we were good, so we talked a bit before heading on home. They were looking for the meth lab perps, it's a real problem there. That and the rainbow people that steal anything and everything, ONF isn't a safe place to be anymore.

Comment

Yeah, Tallahassee isnt what it once was either

Its a shame what scum do to a place

Comment

I shoot at the range there occasionally and always carry my gun. I also kayak on the Ocklawaha river and always carry. There are to many weirdos living out there.

Comment

What about open carry to and from the range and while camping?

Comment

Originally posted by wb_carpenter
                          What about open carry to and from the range and while camping?
                          both are allowed according to F.S. 790.25 (a very informative statute, one I recomend EVERY gun owner read annually, if not more often)
                          T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L.

"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Jeff Cooper

Comment

I guess I meant in relation to national and state forests. can I open carry in a national forest if camping?

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                            Working...
                            X