Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!
Learn more about the Taurus firearms here!Learn more about the Diamondback Firearms here!
Learn more about Heritage Manufactoring here!Learn more about the Rossi firearms here!
Visit Target Sports USA!Visit Stainless Steel Guide Rods!

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Consider this an official notice.Posting articles from other sites is fine if you follow 2 simple rules:1) Only post a small summary of the article.2) Include a link to the original content with summary.Failure to comply with the above will result in a warning. Repeated violations will result in you being banned.These days more and more original content is being placed directly on websites. In order to combat copyright protection and maintain ownership of content, sites are employing people to hunt down unauthorized repost and contacting those sites with warnings. Posting someone else's content harms them in several ways, most of all the circumventing of their sites and thus the loss of traffic. This is becoming more serious of an offense across the internet and lawsuits are becoming common. Understanding the simple rules posted above will not only help this site, but also those who are creating content. It will also keep you from being sued as this site is a 3rd party engine, meaning YOU are responsible for the copyright violation, not us. We will always abide by author requests to remove content.
See more
See less

Open carry in Florida state parks?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open carry in Florida state parks?

Hey guys!

Going on a camping trip in a couple of weeks, and I just wanted to double check that I can open carry my pistol. I know that we can conceal carry in a Florida state park, and I know that we can open carry while camping in Florida, but I really just wanted to check to see what you guys say... Thanks guys..

Respectfully

if I am not mistaken as long as you are actually camping out you can OC, depending on the park you will get different reactions to OCing.

Comment

The park is cayo costa... I hear good things about it..

Comment

Originally posted by apvbguy View Post
        if I am not mistaken as long as you are actually camping out you can OC, depending on the park you will get different reactions to OCing.
        That is the exact opposite of what Gutmacher says on page 115 of his book under State Forests and Parks. The rule that applies is 62D-2.014 "weapons shall at all time be in the possession of a responsible party or properly secured within or to a vehicle or temporary housing...while in state parks. Properly secured means the weapon shall be locked away and not accessible to minors, and if in a tent, the weapon shall be secured in a locked container. No person shall use or openly display in any state park weapons".

He then goes on to say: "the safe side of what the rule means is that anyone with a CWP can carry weapons and firearms concealed, upon their person (including any bag or knapsack you personally carry), in a state park or national forest in Florida. It also means that if you don't have the CWP - and so long as you are engaged in lawful fishing, hunting,, or camping, a weapon or firearm can be carried on your person, so long as it is carried concealed." Gutmacher acknowledges this DEP rule is contrary to 790.25 which might allow open carrry but that courts will have to decided if the more restrictive rule of the DEP trumps what the Legislature directed. Another case of the legislature appearing to pass one law but allowing a state agency to write a rule that is different. It sounds like this is a test case issue if someone wants to volunteer!
        My Videos
        Firing my great S&W 422 purchase!
        Mosin Nagant M44 video!
        Yugo M57 Tokarev!

Comment

hmm that sounds like it is not correct at all, I have a CWFL and I can carry in the state parks the law says that as long as you are camping or fishing you can OC a weapon, If you do not have a CWFL you cannot conceal a weapon, period. there are some wild life management areas that do have different rules about weapons in those areas and some conservation areas are wrongly posted as well.

I think you and he are confused about the law, it appears what you've cited is not applicable.

I could be wrong, I am not a lawyer, I am not giving advice on the law and I am not going to get into an argument about it.
          I know what I would do if I am visiting a state park and others can decide what they will do.
          Last edited by apvbguy; 07-19-2012, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by apvbguy View Post
            I think you and he are confused about the law, it appears what you've cited is not applicable.

I could be wrong, I am not a lawyer, I am not giving advice on the law and I am not going to get into an argument about it.
            I agree, I am not a lawyer, but Gutmacher is and I guarantee you he knows more than either of us. Again, that is the point, he acknowledges that the DEP rule and the Florida Statute are at odds and thus his advice. So, much will depend if your friendly park rangers have instructions whether or not to follow the DEP ruling which I easily found on their Web Site (page 8) and shows an effective date in 2009 or go by the Florida Statute. I was camping at Hillsborough State park several years ago. There were clear signs for no alcohol allowed. My wife brought a couple of beers and would discreetly drink them in a travel mug. The guy a few camp sites down was drinking beer in a clear plastic type cup. We saw him walking around the campground and knew what he was drinking...you could just tell. A few hours later, we see the rangers at his camp site, dumping all his beer on the ground! So, if you have the option to carry concealed in the state park, why not avoid the hassle is my thinking. Be smart, don't advertise. Just my opinion.

www.dep.state.fl.us/legal/Rules/parks/62d-2/62d-2.doc
            My Videos
            Firing my great S&W 422 purchase!
            Mosin Nagant M44 video!
            Yugo M57 Tokarev!

Comment

what you did a few years ago predates the newer preemption laws. All I can say is that everyone I have talked to say that they OC while camping or fishing in state parks. and concealing a gun on your person without a permit is a huge no-no! as in felony

Comment

. Weapons shall at all times bein possession of a responsible party or properly secured within or to a vehicleor temporary housing, which shall include motor homes, travel trailers,recreational vehicles, campers, tents, or other enclosed structures, while instate parks. Properly secured means the weapon shall be locked away and notaccessible to minors, and if in a tent means the weapon shall be secured in alocked container. No person shall use or openly display in any state parkweapons such as firearms of any type, air rifles, spring guns, cross bows, bowsand arrows, gigs (except in areas where gigs may be legally used for saltwaterfishing), sling shots, electronic weapons, devices which fire a dart orprojectile, or any other forms of weapons or trapping devices potentiallydangerous to wildlife or human safety except when such weapons or traps areused for resource management purposes as authorized in this subsection.
                This is pretty clear cut. To advocate anything else is irresponsible.
                The Big Kahuna

God Bless America

Comment

the advise offered to not carry in a state park is just plain wrong.

I recommend reading this thread in it's entirety for your edification,
                  http://floridaconcealedcarry.com/For...ate-Park-Carry

in addition you can refer to this
                  http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_ca...ida_state_park

more data from http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf
                  Carry In State Parks/State & National Forests/WMA/Road Side Rest Areas

Carry Allowed in these Areas:
                  State Parks: YES 790.25
                  State/National Forests: YES
                  WMA’s: YES
                  Road Side Rest Areas: YES

one last forum:
                  http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...ate-parks.html

sorry to lay it on this thick but bad info just can't be allowed to stand unchallenged
                  Last edited by apvbguy; 07-19-2012, 11:54 PM.

Comment

You are citing third party sources, I have cited STATE rules.

Your citation from handgunlaw.us is for CONCEALED carry with permit. In fact, I HAVE read ALL your citations, except for Wikipedia, which has no standing. NONE of them refer to OPEN carry. Reread your own citations.

Honestly, Wikipedia? Please.

Thread is closed.
                    Last edited by GSPKurt; 07-20-2012, 12:14 AM.
                    The Big Kahuna

God Bless America

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                    Working...
                    X