Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!

Visit Standard Mfg. Co. LLC!Visit Target Sports USA!Learn more about Florida Gun Exchange here!See Remora holsters here!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St. Pete man at odds with neighbors over back yard gun range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Pete man at odds with neighbors over back yard gun range

Tonight, a St. Pete resident is wanting to shoot his 9mm in a home-made target backstop on his property. He has not fired the gun yet but has announced his intentions. The reaction is of course swift by neighbors and law enforcement. The issue is being fast tracked to Tallahassee for discussion although as brought out by News Channel 8, there was nothing illegal about it. Personally, I was not impressed with the backstop he built. I am not sure what is behind his backstop but the area appears to be a large, dense subdivision based on the map I looked at.

http://www.wfla.com/story/27997914/s...hbors-outraged
    Last edited by GSPKurt; 02-03-2015, 12:25 PM. Reason: Fixed hyperlink.
    Gun owners must unite in 2016 to defeat the Democratic agenda. ALL Gun Owners get out the vote!

Did Doug V. move to St. Pete?

Comment

• Mountain Man
      Mountain Man commented
      Editing a comment
      No, he got a better deal in that a local man opened a range near his Key's winter location and gave him a membership and Doug has closed his makeshift home range. But it does highlight the issue he brought up that the way the law is written, it is wide open for anyone to do similar. Now folks can spout off on how wrong it is or it shouldn't be done but in this case, in the absence of a law, there will always be someone out there trying to push the law to the edge.

Here we go again...Too bad that common sense is not so common. That backstop is a hoot huh. These idiots will not be happy until they force the legislator into overriding the preemption clause with some ridiculously over reaching regs concerning home ranges. IMO, if you live in the city limits, No go on the back yard range. No law should be required.
    Last edited by Just Dave; 02-03-2015, 07:19 AM.

"If guns cause crime, all mine are defective." ~ Ted Nugent

Comment

Just because you *CAN* do something doesn't mean you *SHOULD* do something.
      Proud Supporter Of President Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Just Dave View Post
        Here we go again...Too bad that common sense is not so common. That backstop is a hoot huh. These idiots will not be happy until they force the legislator into overriding the preemption clause with some ridiculously over reaching regs concerning home ranges. IMO, if you live in the city limits, No go on the back yard range. No law should be required.
        That would be a bad decision in Duval as the city of Jax is also the entire county and there are a LOT of isolated and open spaces. Population density is what should be considered. In Marion County, 10 aces or more means it is legal. Whether the terrain, noise, etc. make it right is something else.

Comment

Originally posted by GSPKurt View Post
          Just because you *CAN* do something doesn't mean you *SHOULD* do something.
          my words exactly, how could he think that was a good idea

Comment

Originally posted by Just Dave View Post

I agree. That's what will likely happen eventually if someone is injured or killed because of a crappy backstop. I guess in a way it's just like some of the open carrying people in Texas and some of the things they done. All because it's what the law says and they end up just totally taking it out of context.

Comment

i live in Jacksonville and i shoot in my back yard all the time

Comment

He has torn the range down. A local radio show arranged to get him a free gun club membership for shooting! Seems if you cannot afford some range fees...not sure how you are affording ammo!

http://www.wfla.com/story/28023458/st-pete-homemade-gun-range-prompts-push-for-change
                Gun owners must unite in 2016 to defeat the Democratic agenda. ALL Gun Owners get out the vote!

Comment

Thank Shooter's World

Comment

I hope he is happy now that he has got a Representative to draft up a bill to ban home gun ranges. A Liberal Democrat one at that being the St.Pete area rep. Their petition says they want to ban home gun ranges from ALL LANDS zoned for residential use and within 500 ' of any occupied dwellings which would make most outdoor gun ranges in the state illegal as well. Not just ones in dense neighborhoods like this one but everywhere. They are refering to it as closing a loophole...seems I have heard that one before.

I realize this is just a petition that has been drafted as a knee jerk reaction with little to no consideration of what they are really asking for. Hopefully the bill will have some consideration for people that actually have enough land so that a home range would not endanger the neighbors such as this one would have. But is doubt it will, I bet it will be overreaching and modeled after this silly petition.

https://www.change.org/p/florida-sta...ail_responsive

I would also like to add that that is some of the most slanted reporting I have seen in a while. There is no doubt whatsoever that channel 8 wants a new law now!

"If guns cause crime, all mine are defective." ~ Ted Nugent

Comment

• RepublicanVoter
                      RepublicanVoter commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I knew that would happen!! So if something like this becomes law even in unincorporated areas you wouldn't be able to legally discharge unless you totally lived in a VERY rural area or are so wealthy you can buy a huge chunk or property away from everyone. I might be moving back to FL soon and this would really upset me as SWFL doesn't have much decent shooting range options so I thought about saving some money up to eventually build my own little range on a small piece of inexpensive land.

Hopefully it goes nowhere but hate to say it I'm sure a watered down version will eventually pass once bimboes Demanding Action get involved.

Here in Missouri LOTS of people shoot on their own property especially in the Ozarks it's very very common. Something like this proposed here would cause heads to roll and a lot of the rural police wouldn't even enforce it.

Originally posted by BigDinFl View Post

That would be a bad decision in Duval as the city of Jax is also the entire county and there are a LOT of isolated and open spaces. Population density is what should be considered. In Marion County, 10 aces or more means it is legal. Whether the terrain, noise, etc. make it right is something else.
                    Can you provide a reference to the Marion County law stating this? I'm on 8 acres and have been shooting in Marion County for better than 24 years.

Comment

There are currently 104 users online. 1 members and 103 guests.

Most users ever online was 769 at 11:54 AM on 04-13-2016.

Working...
                    X