Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!
Learn more about the Taurus firearms here!Learn more about the Diamondback Firearms here!Learn more about Heritage Manufactoring here!Learn more about the Rossi firearms here!Visit AdeQ Firearms! Visit Target Sports USA!

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Consider this an official notice.Posting articles from other sites is fine if you follow 2 simple rules:1) Only post a small summary of the article.2) Include a link to the original content with summary.Failure to comply with the above will result in a warning. Repeated violations will result in you being banned.These days more and more original content is being placed directly on websites. In order to combat copyright protection and maintain ownership of content, sites are employing people to hunt down unauthorized repost and contacting those sites with warnings. Posting someone else's content harms them in several ways, most of all the circumventing of their sites and thus the loss of traffic. This is becoming more serious of an offense across the internet and lawsuits are becoming common. Understanding the simple rules posted above will not only help this site, but also those who are creating content. It will also keep you from being sued as this site is a 3rd party engine, meaning YOU are responsible for the copyright violation, not us. We will always abide by author requests to remove content.
See more
See less

NRA vs NAGR

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NRA vs NAGR

We all know the NRA and what it stands for. I am a Life Member. As with many of you we all belong to other organizations that support the Second Amendment. Now comes along a newer organization which has the same fundamental beliefs as the NRA. I became interested in the National Association for Gun Rights and paid for a membership. Seems they are on pretty much the same page as we are. However, as of late I wonder what the main objective of the NAGR is. Is it recruiting or 2A? I have noticed on several occasions where the NAGR has taken pot shots at the NRA on certain policies and items the NRA is backing. Do they have the same opinions or are the following a different agenda. Are they trying to discredit the NRA, and why? When trying to communicate with them I get no response. Mostly all I get are e-mails asking for support and primarily contributions.

Has anybody noticed this also? Opinions? I would think that both organizations should work together to achieve the same goal as it would present a more united front to the politicians and show solidarity to the memberships, allowing us to get more done.
    AMERICA UP!

The NRA is not always an organization that I agree with. They backed the legislation in Florida to expand taking away gun rights if someone has been treated for mental illness. Many of the drug proscribed for depression area also proscribed for chronic pain. The NRA is currently suing the feds over the law not allowing handgun sales to minors. I'm sorry, but that's one of the few I agree with and fighting it certainly makes us seem unreasonable to other people. Look at all of the black teen thugs that are shooting people now. The NRA is fighting to make it legal for them to buy those guns? For decades the NRA has at times supported gun legislation that I thought was wrong and has a long history of fighting gun laws I think most of us think are reasonable. They may be the biggest pro-gun organization, but I don't think they are the best and I don't think they SHOULD be the flagship organization for gun owners.

John
    I will not lay down.
    I WILL, however, assume a prone firing position if necessary!

Comment

We certainly have a lot of choices in gun organizations these days. GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, Concealed Carry Organization, etc. Its profitable and hard work to build an organization as large as the NRA. The head guys make big money in salaries and benefits, I am sure. But..........the NRA has the clout and gets the most attention of government officials. So thats where my money has gone since the 1970's and before.

Find an organization that fits your position on gun rights and support it. Bow hunters, rifle hunters, fishermen, all need to stick together in this fight since its really all about the same long term issues.

I say it over and over...........................if only 25% of gun owners in this country would stand up for gun rights we would not be in this dog fight today. You have maybe 80 million gun owners in the US today and only 4-5 million in the NRA. Only a handful in all the rest of the organizations. Thats shameful, in my humble opinion.
      sigpic

Comment

the NRA isn't perfect but it does have the most clout in politics. I have been a life member since the mid 80's.
        peace through superior firepower

Comment

The National Association for Gun Rights is a front for a rather unfriendly to gun owners group. Their main goal is to get membership in the NRA to drop and to create mistrust of the NRA. They are not someone I would support:

http://www.factcheck.org/tag/nationa...or-gun-rights/

As for the "Anti-gun" legislation adding those who have been involuntarily committed to mental health care to the NICS database, this is what everyone wanted. The NRA supported it because it is good legislation. It only affects those who should not have access to guns. Read the bill/law and forget what the NAGR has been posting.

Jeff

Comment

I agree that here are people that need mental health care that should NOT have access to guns. However, the criteria should be very strict, so that people are not having their rights taken away without just cause. As far as 18 - 21 year olds owning handguns, at least in Florida, they CAN legally own handguns. They just can't buy them from an FFL. A small point, I admit, but an important one. I also believe that anyone serving, or honorably discharged from the US Military should be able to obtain a CCW at age 18. So that I don't get blasted for jacking the thread, I ONLY send money to the NRA.While I am not a "Life Member," my dues are paid up until 2031. By that time, I will probably have paid for a few more years without spending the large amount necessary to become an Official "Life Member." I enter all of the NAGR raffles on FaceBook (they don't cost anything) but do not send them any cash. JMNSHO
            Last edited by Bam Bam; 08-24-2013, 01:06 AM.

Comment

I agree with Weaselfire, the NAGR is a bunch of scaremongerers who are trying to reduce the number of members the NRA have and I have also read that they are a front for an anti gun group. Sign up for a few of their emails and wait for the doom and gloom messages to be sent to you and make up your own opinion.
              NRA Member,
              Sig Sauer P226, P220, P250c,P229,P230,P226 Tacops.
              Glock G23,G30
              S&W M&P9, M&P40c, M&P45, M&P15-22, Pro Series 1911
              Springfield Stainless 1911
              Beretta 92fs
              Benelli Supernova, Mossberg 500
              Remington 700, 1100, 870,
              H&K 91-.308. H&K P2000sk, Two Lee Enfield No4 MK1's
              MPAP AK47
              Various Spikes Tactical AR15's (love them)

Comment

Originally posted by Bam Bam View Post
                As far as 18 - 21 year olds owning handguns, at least in Florida, they CAN legally own handguns. They just can't buy them from an FFL. A small point, I admit, but an important one.
                That's part of the reason for the NRA lawsuit. Minors are not allowed to buy handguns. Technically, If you buy a handgun in Florida for your 18 year old son, you could be a straw purchaser. I know of no prosecutions for that, and doubt there would be any, but it's another of those loopholes that could be used against gun owners.

Also, the NRA isn't for allowing those under 18 to purchase handguns. In Federal terms, a minor is under 21. Kinda like liquor laws, old enough to vote, old enough to die on foreign soil, old enough to marry, old enough to use fully automatic weapons in the military but too young to drink or buy a handgun they're allowed to be given.

Though I may need to enter the NAGR raffles anyway. :)

Jeff

Comment

I stick to the JPFO. I've never had to be embarrassed about their positions. As far as the "power" of the NRA, what is it people keep telling me about the Libertarian Party?

John
                  I will not lay down.
                  I WILL, however, assume a prone firing position if necessary!

Comment

Originally posted by weaselfire View Post
                    That's part of the reason for the NRA lawsuit. Minors are not allowed to buy handguns. Technically, If you buy a handgun in Florida for your 18 year old son, you could be a straw purchaser. I know of no prosecutions for that, and doubt there would be any, but it's another of those loopholes that could be used against gun owners.
                    This is not completely true. A person who is not otherwise prevented from legally owning a firearm, and is between the ages of 18 and 21, CAN legally buy one or accept one as a gift from a private citizen. As I said before, he/she cannot legally buy one from an FFL.

Comment

I'm a SAF guy.

AFS
                      There something charming about the sound of bullets-----George Washington

Comment

I've checked there website but did not see if membership includes firearm insurance. Can some one point me to it? TIA Dan

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                        Working...
                        X