Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!
Learn more about the Taurus firearms here!
Learn more about Heritage Manufacturing here!Learn more about the Rossi firearms here!
Visit Target Sports USA!Visit Stainless Steel Guide Rods!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Light Case of Shell Shock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Light Case of Shell Shock

By developing a lighter, two-piece case with steel and aluminum, Shell Shock Technologies has begun to capture a share of the factory ammunition and reloading market.

We live in an age where all types of novel ammo and reloading components are coming to the market. That is good news for shooters, as many of these products are legitimate improvements over previous offerings. One company, Shell Shock Technologies, has recently released 9mm cases using manufacturing methods not previously used, at least to my knowledge.

What sets Shell Shock apart is that the company produces a two-piece case made from nickel steel. The exact process is proprietary, therefore the methods used are not revealed. However, I recently received some cases for evaluation, along with a sizing and decapping die and a belling die so I could load and shoot them. The bullet seating is done with a normal die, which isnít included. The sizing and belling dies can also be used for standard brass cases, which is a plus because these new cases are superior to brass but will never replace them.

According to company literature, the cases are 50 percent lighter and two times stronger than brass, with a uniform wall thickness and proprietary assembly technique that leads to reliable and consistent velocity. The bottom of the case is an aluminum alloy, while a steel part is the top, which makes the case magnetic and makes it easier to pick up at a range. I placed a number of them on the scale one at a time, and they all weighed 35 grains, with no variation. Some brass cases I weighed came in at 63 to 64 grains, so the advantage of lightweight cases would be evident if you had to carry a large amount of ammo. I also measured several of the Shell Shock cases for length and they all came in at .7505 inch with no variation. Obviously, no variation in weight and length among these cases would contribute to accuracy and consistency.

http://americanshootingjournal.com/l...e-shell-shock/

Why do I carry? Somebody else will pick the day I need my gun, not me.

Pretty good write-up. It's going to be difficult to make inroads against brass, in my opinion. There's just soooo much of it out there.
    Go, Trump, Go!

Comment

I can see where this would be a good deal for our ground troops that have to carry all they need on their backs. For me it's not that big of a deal. It's interesting to read about new technology in the shooting industry...
      The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his/her rifle.

Comment

There are currently 85 users online. 0 members and 85 guests.

Most users ever online was 769 at 10:54 AM on 04-13-2016.

Working...
      X