Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!
Learn more about the Taurus firearms here!
Learn more about Heritage Manufacturing here!Learn more about the Rossi firearms here!
Visit Target Sports USA!Visit Stainless Steel Guide Rods!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Optics , the headache that comes with choosing.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optics , the headache that comes with choosing.

So I've been saving up for a good scope for my Ruger Precision Rifle in 308. I bought it a couple months ago and just threw a cheap Nikon 3-9 til I could save up for a good and more powerful scope with some decent glass on it. Where the headache begins... yes I know and have been told Leupold is the crem de la crem ( cream of the crop). Being a vet a I get a good discount from vortex but there advertising practices and msrp discounts is funny. Nikon seems to have some good line ups but I'm not interested in a BDC recticle like all there FFP scopes have. So I know this kind of pretty much falls on preference as well as budget. But I figured I'd ask here what's everyone's experience and recommendations on scope brands. Preferably looking to get a magnification higher then 12x in FFP. Appreciate any advice.

If you're looking for FFP, I HIGHLY recommend the Lucid MLX. I put one on my long-distance AR for a class and it ROCKS, and under $600! One of my classmates commented that it is dang near equal to his $2k U.S. Optics scope. If you're close to Gainesville, you're welcome to come see/shoot it.
    Go, Trump, Go!

Comment

How's the lens hold up on max magnification ?

Comment

I got two Vortex scopes on my LR rifles (Savage .308 10T and Aero M5 6.5 Creedmoor). My favorite is the Razor 5-20. I paid around $1300 for it. The scope is made in Japan and the glass is very clear. FFP. But its heavy with a 35mm tube which can the selection on a your mount. I put Vortex's Precision mounts on it. Great mounts for $150. My other Vortex scope is the Viper PST 5-25. Its the older Gen I model that I picked up on sale for around $650. The glass is almost as good as the Razor. Both of my Vortex scopes are MRADS. Vortex's warranty is hard to beat. And like you mentioned, they have great deals for Vets.

Take a look at the Burris XTR II. It's suppose to be a great scope. I also read good things about Athlon scopes as well. I've looked through one and didn't think the glass was as good as my Vortex scopes. But a less expensive option. Vortex and Leupold are my favorite brands for scopes. I'm sure I would like Nightforce, Kahles and others as well.
      Last edited by Ed308; 10-19-2017, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerz88 View Post
        How's the lens hold up on max magnification ?
        Do you mean clarity? Beautiful.
        Go, Trump, Go!

Comment

Appreciate all the info guys , I might have to save a bit more it seems lol so I can make the best purchase possible and get my money's worth but I always like input and hearing from the experienced shooters over any reviews or videos I see online.

Comment

Been looking and considering the VIPER HS LR 6-24x50 FFP for quite some time of course the PST II would be a better option but also an additional $300 which I just don't want to keep trying to save up for a better scope because every price range increase will bring more options and every $300 increment will be closer to another even better one lol an endless cycle of spending ...

Comment

Most places offer 10% off the going prices (not list). Get on Optics Planet mailing list. I've seen them offer 12% off the normal selling price. You could also call Camera Land in NY and ask for the 6.8 Forum price. That will 10-12% off the usual advertised price.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerz88 View Post
                Appreciate all the info guys , I might have to save a bit more it seems lol so I can make the best purchase possible and get my money's worth but I always like input and hearing from the experienced shooters over any reviews or videos I see online.
                I am discussing some type of special deal for forum members with Lucid at this moment. Stay tuned!
                Go, Trump, Go!

Comment

Originally posted by GSPKurt View Post
                  I am discussing some type of special deal for forum members with Lucid at this moment. Stay tuned!
                  Wow god bless ! Let me know how it turns out , I'd be the first to test out that deal lol

Comment

There are currently 140 users online. 1 members and 139 guests.

Most users ever online was 769 at 10:54 AM on 04-13-2016.

Working...
                  X