Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!
Learn more about the Taurus firearms here!Learn more about the Diamondback Firearms here!
Learn more about Heritage Manufactoring here!Learn more about the Rossi firearms here!
Visit Target Sports USA!Visit Stainless Steel Guide Rods!

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Consider this an official notice.Posting articles from other sites is fine if you follow 2 simple rules:1) Only post a small summary of the article.2) Include a link to the original content with summary.Failure to comply with the above will result in a warning. Repeated violations will result in you being banned.These days more and more original content is being placed directly on websites. In order to combat copyright protection and maintain ownership of content, sites are employing people to hunt down unauthorized repost and contacting those sites with warnings. Posting someone else's content harms them in several ways, most of all the circumventing of their sites and thus the loss of traffic. This is becoming more serious of an offense across the internet and lawsuits are becoming common. Understanding the simple rules posted above will not only help this site, but also those who are creating content. It will also keep you from being sued as this site is a 3rd party engine, meaning YOU are responsible for the copyright violation, not us. We will always abide by author requests to remove content.
See more
See less

Hunters Need to Exercise Caution Cleaning Wild Hogs

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunters Need to Exercise Caution Cleaning Wild Hogs

I have an acquaintance who has contracted brucellosis, and it has recurred twice already. Brucellosis NEVER leaves the body, it just goes dormant.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) is reminding hunters to take precautions when dressing and handling harvested wild hogs.

Wild hogs, though not originally native to Florida, are now found within all 67 counties, and like any wild animal, can carry parasites and other diseases - some of which can be transmitted to people. One such disease for hunters to be concerned with is swine brucellosis.

The FWC is advising hunters handling wild hog carcasses to take precautions to protect themselves from exposure to brucellosis and other diseases. For instance, avoid eating, drinking or using tobacco when field-dressing or handling carcasses, and use latex or rubber gloves when handling the carcass or raw meat. Also, avoid direct contact with blood, reproductive organs and fecal matter. Wearing long sleeves, eye protection and covering any scratches, open wounds or lesions will help provide protection. Another precaution is to clean and disinfect knives, cleaning area, clothing and any other exposed surfaces when finished, and wash hands frequently with soap and water.

When cooking wild hog, as with any wild game, care in handling is an important part of disease prevention. Raw meat should be handled with gloves and contact surfaces and utensils thoroughly cleaned. The meat should be cooked thoroughly to 170 degrees. Swine brucellosis is not transmitted through properly cooked meat.

"Hunters shouldn't be overly concerned with swine brucellosis, but they should practice these good-hygiene, safety precautions when field-dressing wild hogs," FWC wildlife veterinarian Mark Cunningham said.

Brucellosis in people is called undulant fever and could be transmitted if a hunter cuts himself while field-dressing a wild hog and is exposed to the animal's blood or bodily fluids. Symptoms may include a recurrent fever, chills, night sweats, weakness, headaches, back pain, swollen joints, loss of appetite and weight loss.

Hunters who exhibit these symptoms or may have been exposed should contact a physician. Contact your county health department for further information about swine brucellosis.

Mark Cunningham (386) 758-0525
    The Big Kahuna

God Bless America

It appears the rest of us don't have to worry about Brucellosis, you are wiping out the wild hog population.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Comment

So, when butchering hogs, treat them like wabbits.
      Or any other critter.
      No joke, though.
      An uncle raised rabbits for food and contracted something nasty called rabbit fever.
      He suffered from it his whole life.
      We might think that we are at the top of the food chain, but it's really the microbes that can rightfully claim it.

Comment

Good to know! I shot them once in a while, never knew.

Comment

Wow, I sure did not exercise any caution during my hog hunting days. Is there any special test that the doctors can run to see if a person has the disease? Gee, maybe my wife is right when she calls me an animal; maybe I do have the hog disease, but I have never had the urge to do "it" in the mud. I have not been on a hog hunt for many years but went weekly when I was stationed at Ft Benning, Ga.
          US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
          — Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I had Brucellosis two years ago. No fun. I had to quit work. It took 3 months to get back on my feet. I still have effects from it. I always cleaned hog with gloves, but I must of touch the meat or water from the meat when I was curing the meat. Cooking the meat to 160 degrees will kill brucellosis, but touching the meat when processing it will give you the disease. Clean anything that touches the meat with bleach and wear gloves when touching the uncooked meat and any knives and cutting boards used to process the meat.

Comment

I scrub up pretty good after cleaning one

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
              Working...
              X