Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!
Learn more about the Taurus firearms here!Learn more about Heritage Manufacturing here!Learn more about the Rossi firearms here!
Visit Target Sports USA!Visit Stainless Steel Guide Rods!

Announcement

Collapse

Announcement

Consider this an official notice.Posting articles from other sites is fine if you follow 2 simple rules:1) Only post a small summary of the article.2) Include a link to the original content with summary.Failure to comply with the above will result in a warning. Repeated violations will result in you being banned.These days more and more original content is being placed directly on websites. In order to combat copyright protection and maintain ownership of content, sites are employing people to hunt down unauthorized repost and contacting those sites with warnings. Posting someone else's content harms them in several ways, most of all the circumventing of their sites and thus the loss of traffic. This is becoming more serious of an offense across the internet and lawsuits are becoming common. Understanding the simple rules posted above will not only help this site, but also those who are creating content. It will also keep you from being sued as this site is a 3rd party engine, meaning YOU are responsible for the copyright violation, not us. We will always abide by author requests to remove content.
See more
See less

legal/feasable? 12 gauge gatling gun

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• legal/feasable? 12 gauge gatling gun

So i was thinking this would be a fun way to avoid NFA stuff and an interesting project. I was wondering if it would be possible and legal to make a 12 gauge Gatling gun.

I'm thinking about a dozen barrels around maybe a semi auto receiver of some sort (1100 or saiga) with a top loading mag.

turning the crank would turn the barrels, line one up, it would load, then pull the trigger and eject. turning further would cycle the next thing and repeat. I didn't know if this would be a possibility, but might be a hoot to wheel out to the skeet field and it tear up.

your input is requested.

Steviesterno

Re: legal/feasable? 12 gauge gatling gun

Makes the "Street Sweeper" look like a single shot...
    God Bless America!

Comment

gatling guns are legal, since the ATF has rules that the turning of a crank handle is the same as pulling a trigger. Thats why you can have those 'gatling kits' that they sell for just about any weapon.

I can't see how it would make a difference what type of firearm it is.

Here's a site that sells plans for a .22 gatling gun... I'm sure you could take that and modify it for what you need..
      http://www.gatlingguns.net/
      T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L.

"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Jeff Cooper

Comment

How about the AA-12?
        Dr John Meade
        Director of Tactical Medicine
        Suarez International

Click here for all my posted SI classes

Comment

Originally posted by bama
          How about the AA-12?
          that was a cool video!

I sure hope they come out with a civilian version of that thing!
          T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L.

"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Jeff Cooper

Comment

yeah, i want an AA12 pretty bad, and it seems like semi auto wouldn't be too hard. have to SBR it, but it's worth it!

the gattling gun just seems like a fun project that would really tear some stuff up.

Comment

:shock:

Holy crap I want that gun.
              "I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders."--Ted Nugent

Comment

As long as it's not a motorized crank, or fired by a remote control, the Man says it's legal. Might be pretty cool to do.
                NRA Certified Instructor.

Comment

Crapola! I can't afford to buy ammo now, with a Gatling gun I would have to mortgage my home to afford to shoot the darn thing. :mrgreen:

Comment

Walmart has 250 round cases of 12ga 2 3/4 shell 7.5 birdshot for $59.99

If you can make it thru a 250 round burst, you are a better man than me! :lol:
                    T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L.

Comment

OK, NFA and not a gatling gun, but cool anyway. 12ga upper on an M16 lower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX7vwivR6cE

I had heard there was a similar gun on a MAC lower, but can't find it. In case you don't know, NFA guns are cool.
                      NRA Certified Instructor.

Comment

Originally posted by steviesterno View Post
                        So i was thinking this would be a fun way to avoid NFA stuff and an interesting project. I was wondering if it would be possible and legal to make a 12 gauge Gatling gun.

I'm thinking about a dozen barrels around maybe a semi auto receiver of some sort (1100 or saiga) with a top loading mag.

turning the crank would turn the barrels, line one up, it would load, then pull the trigger and eject. turning further would cycle the next thing and repeat. I didn't know if this would be a possibility, but might be a hoot to wheel out to the skeet field and it tear up.

your input is requested.

Steviesterno
                        Hi Steve. Here's my input as you requested.

Forget the cost and weight of the Gatling style multi barrels and the complicated alignment system for the rotating barrels to the stationary receiver, and go with this idea of mine instead. Before I get to my concept for a build for you that is even easier to make than the Gardner gun itself, here's a little info and history on the Gardner gun that the concept build I will describe further on will resemble.

Have you ever considered or heard of the Gardner gun? It was a contemporary of the Gatling but has a lot less parts, is twin barreled and was the very first water cooled gun in history. That would be a lot easier to fabricate and its rate of fire is comparable to the Gatling. Here's a picture of a full size 1879, twin barreled, water cooled Gardner in 45-70 caliber. It is my favorite and most inspirational gun of all the crank fired guns. Pay no attention to when they call the Gardner a "machine gun" in the picture. Being hand cranked it isn't a machine gun by today's law, but that is what they called it back in 1879.

Actually Hiram Maxim studied David Gardner's gun, because the Maxim machine gun's internal mechanism is basically a Gardner but uses recoil operation instead of being hand cranked. Gardner never has gotten the credit he deserved except from a very few firearm historians who understand that the Maxim is basically a recoil operated Gardner.

There is a company who makes a scaled down version of the Gardner in .22 magnum. Read everything at their website, you will find it fascinating. Here's a link to them....http://www.gardnerguns.com/Products.htm

And here's a link to a short video of the internal mechanism of the Gardner working. Notice how it is basically a crankshaft with two piston bolts, just like an engine. As you can see from this video, WAY less parts to build than a Gatling, less finicky, lighter weight, and comparable to a Gatling in rate of fire.
                        http://www.gardnerguns.com/images/MP...Show%20212.avi

Once you study and find out about the Gardner gun, you will see its many advantages over the Gatling and possibly prefer it over the Gatling like I do.
                        The main advantage for you in building one, is the way less parts compared to the Gatling and less complicated mechanism too. Here's some pictures of it, it is a beautiful gun and really is the father of the Maxim and all other water cooled machine guns. The Gardner was also made in single barrel too as well as five barrels and some were air cooled in addition to their water cooled models. England adopted it and even though it did extremely well in U.S. military tests, we didn't adopt it because we already had too much invested in Gatlings. But I believe the design of the Gardner was superior to the Gatling of that day, simpler too. I just can't say enough good about it.

Air cooled single barrel and twin water cooled barrels Gardners.

This shows how easily the Gardner could be loaded by a box of
                        cartridges with their heads being slid over the vertical hopper feed and then
                        pulling the box off. A loader could keep it loaded while the gunner cranked to keep up a sustained rate of fire.

This would be much easier and cheaper to build than a Gatling, less parts, less weight, and you still get a comparable rate of fire compared to the Gatling out of just two barrels. Check it out. I think after reading up on it, you'll agree. To say I am a HUGE fan of this gun is an understatement.

And if you don't want to build a 12 gauge EXACT version of the Gardner, just go with my idea of inverting two recoil operated 12 gauge shotguns, attach a BMF activator to each one's trigger guard, then connect the double sided spindles of the BMF activators with a rod, so that when you turned your crank, both trigger activators would turn firing both guns. Hopper feed them (that's the reason you invert the guns) so you can have a large ammunition capacity. This would be MUCH easier to build than a Gatling or even a Gardner. But if you water cooled your barrels with one common water jacket and encased your twin inverted shotgun receivers into a fake receiver, it would look a lot like a real Gardner. Crankfiring is going to heat up your two barrels quickly. Gatling overcame that by using a lot of barrels. David Gardner overcame it much more simply and with less weight by water cooling just two barrels.

I have a bit of experience with putting semi-auto receivers into fake receivers and then water cooling the barrels. I built this Ruger 10/22 stock build below. I plan to in the future do two Ruger 10/22's side by side with both barrels water cooled that would look like a Gardner gun. Later, I would like to build the same thing in 12 gauge using two recoil operated 12 gauge shotguns mounted side by side in a fake receiver with both barrels being water cooled in one common water jacket like I described above. Doesn't this seem easier for you to afford the expense of and fabricate, not to mention the MUCH less weight of a multi-barreled Gatling in 12 gauge? Just get yourself two semi-auto recoil operated shotguns and get to work fabbing up a wide fake receiver for them to fit into and then water cool the barrels, put a BMF activator on both trigger guards and link the two BMF activators together with a short rod so they both fire when you turn the crank. Viola! You have the rapid fire, crankfired 12 gauge you want, only without the weight and complication of the Gatling.

Last edited by Revolverteer; 11-12-2010, 03:37 AM.

Comment

There are currently 94 users online. 1 members and 93 guests.

Most users ever online was 769 at 10:54 AM on 04-13-2016.

Working...
                        X