Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!
Learn more about the Taurus firearms here!
Learn more about Heritage Manufacturing here!Learn more about the Rossi firearms here!
Visit Target Sports USA!Visit Stainless Steel Guide Rods!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Hurricane Questions??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Hurricane Questions??

I know some of our members lost power for close to a week.

My question is this: What did you do for lighting at night? Use battery powered units, Oil Lamps, Candles or run lights off a generator??

What worked best for you?

Generator until we went to bed, then shut down generator and use a battery powered fan to stay (somewhat) cool.
    Go, Trump, Go!

Comment

Originally posted by GSPKurt View Post
      Generator until we went to bed, then shut down generator and use a battery powered fan to stay (somewhat) cool.
      Could you use your generator to run a window or stand in the room A/C to keep your bedroom cool?

Comment

Also can you hook up your generator to run your well to pump up the gravity tank?

Comment

We use a generator and reverse flow through the house. I run the two refrigerators one freezer and one light in each room plus a fan in each room. No AC or Electric Stove.
          Shut Gen down about 11:00pm, let it cool and check the oil, fill it up with gas and its good till the next morning. Works for us. Check with a good electrician before you do this.
          The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his/her rifle.

Comment

For lighting, I used Coleman propane camping lanterns; work great. I was only out for 30 hours, but had the windows boarded up for a few days prior to, and during, the storm. I'm on County water supply, so no issue there. Used my charcoal grill for cooking and my swimming pool to cool off. Neighbor across the street used a 9kw generator and ran it continuously. Powered everything except his main AC, IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by sig232 View Post

Could you use your generator to run a window or stand in the room A/C to keep your bedroom cool?
              Yes, I could.
              Go, Trump, Go!

Comment

Originally posted by Baldy View Post
                We use a generator and reverse flow through the house..... No AC or Electric Stove.
                Shut Gen down about 11:00pm..... Check with a good electrician before you do this.
                This is what I did; however, I run the genny 2-on 1-off through out the day to save gas and not over heat it. Keeps the fridge/freezer where they need to be, too, and allows room lights, TV's, fans, etc to work off their normal switches - so no extension wires to trip over. I shut it down when ready for bed then work off of battery powered LED lamps and flashlights. In the morning, top off gas and check oil and repeat! Costco is great for LED gear. I have some of their "imitation candles" that you can program for 10 hours on and 14 hours off. Once you set it and forget it, they come on at dusk and off at dawn. An 8-pack will light the house enough to move about without the need of a flashlight and they aren't so bright to keep you up. I also keep a good quality LED flashlight in each room. Again - the C-Cell ones from Costco are amazing. You can adjust the light spread to wide angle or a sharp beam and they have two-brightness settings. One in every room means just a night trip to the bathroom, and place the flashlight on the counter, adjust to a wide beam and point it at the ceiling and leave it there. It lights up the room enough to do your business, or grab a snack in the kitchen, etc. You don't need to hold the flashlight, so you can use both hands to make your midnight sandwich...Portable electronics ; tablets, phones, laptops, can be charged with your car chargers and can help keep you entertained at night as well as stay on top of the news/weather. If you don't have a portable generator, invest in one. Well worth the price tag; especially in FL.

I would almost be tempted to get a small dedicated generator for a wall unit so one room could stay cool all night.

Comment

I have Generac 16kw that automatically starts when I loose Florida Plunder and Loot service. 16KW is sufficient to power the entire house as normal.
                  US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
                  — Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• GSPKurt
                    GSPKurt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "Florida Plunder and Loot service."- LMAO!!

Originally posted by Baldy View Post
                  We use a generator and reverse flow through the house. I run the two refrigerators one freezer and one light in each room plus a fan in each room. No AC or Electric Stove.
                  Shut Gen down about 11:00pm, let it cool and check the oil, fill it up with gas and its good till the next morning. Works for us. Check with a good electrician before you do this.
                  Charlie, what is reverse flow through the house mean? Also what size generator did you use?

I have a harbor freight 4KW, is that sufficient to do what you do?

Comment

• Baldy
                    Baldy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'll get back to you tomorrow Sig..Baldy...

I suppose one could have a second smaller generator to run a window unit so they have A/C for the night. I imagine a 2K unit would work.

Comment

Sorry, would a moderator please delete the above post. Thanks.
                    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
                    — Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Baldy
                      Baldy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Done Chuck...

There are currently 98 users online. 0 members and 98 guests.

Most users ever online was 769 at 10:54 AM on 04-13-2016.

Working...
                  X