Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!
Learn more about the Taurus firearms here!Learn more about the Diamondback Firearms here!
Learn more about Heritage Manufactoring here!Learn more about the Rossi firearms here!
Visit Target Sports USA!Visit Stainless Steel Guide Rods!

Announcement

Collapse

Announcement

Consider this an official notice.Posting articles from other sites is fine if you follow 2 simple rules:1) Only post a small summary of the article.2) Include a link to the original content with summary.Failure to comply with the above will result in a warning. Repeated violations will result in you being banned.These days more and more original content is being placed directly on websites. In order to combat copyright protection and maintain ownership of content, sites are employing people to hunt down unauthorized repost and contacting those sites with warnings. Posting someone else's content harms them in several ways, most of all the circumventing of their sites and thus the loss of traffic. This is becoming more serious of an offense across the internet and lawsuits are becoming common. Understanding the simple rules posted above will not only help this site, but also those who are creating content. It will also keep you from being sued as this site is a 3rd party engine, meaning YOU are responsible for the copyright violation, not us. We will always abide by author requests to remove content.
See more
See less

Ocala Forest Public Range

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocala Forest Public Range

I went up to the public range in the Ocala National Forest this morning and was suprised to find it full. I had never been there before and did not know what to expect. First it only has about 10 stations for rifle and pistol. Kind of small. While watching and waiting for a couple of stations to open someone called for a cold range. Everyone put their weapons down and then it got interesting. A couple of the guys that was shooting decided to tinker with and around their weapons while everyone else was picking up brass and going downrange to tend to their targets. that is when I made up my mind I did not need to shoot where people don't know how to follow basic range rules. this one guy had a loaded pistol strapped to his hip the entire time while messing with his rifle. I guess the rules mean nothing to some people. to me a cold line means do not approch your weapon , should be unloaded, open and pointed down range. No loaded weapons on the line during a cold line call. I guess I will have to find another place to shoot my rifle. So far the time being it's back to shooting pistols at the indoor range. Just a reminder, Please be sure to follow basic range rules no matter where you shoot.
    Last edited by Bob53; 09-23-2010, 06:09 PM.

You are more than welcome to join us anytime you would like. Our next range trip is Tuesday...

We shoot down in Dade City and I believe its closer to you than Ocala...

If your interested or need more info let me know!

Don

Comment

I've been down there once or twice myself, and only shot once for my CWP class. I saw similar things - too many "tacticool" yahoos with more firepower than brains. No thanks. I really didn't get a good feeling about the place and have no desire to return.

I usually go to the range in Leesburg as a result, which takes me as long to get to as the one in the Ocala Forest.

Comment

I hear that
        you would think with all the land there they could make triple the lanes easy and ya have too watch your guns as well,there were a few stolen up there a few months back right from a car in the parking lot and thats 20 feet from the lanes as you saw.
        I wont go back unless by a freak thing Im there and no one else is then Id shoot
        NRA Life Member

Comment

Dade city rod & gun club

Thanks Bang Bang, I just might take you up on the offer. Let me check out the schedule and if I can I will go. I have not shot my sks in about 4 yrs. and it needs shooting. I normally shoot my pistols and want to shoot my rifles some. can you tell me about the range. location, cost to shoot and the best way to get there from south leesburg.
          Thanks Bob P.

Comment

OK... let's see, I don't know exactly where your located. Your close to me, I'm near Sumterville.

From South Leesburg you could take 27 south to where 33 cuts off to the right. At Okahumka turn right and go across past Coleman Prison. When you get to 301 you have a choice.... go over to I-75 and South to Hiway 52 into Dade City or you can just take 301 straight down to Dade City.

If your going on a day that we will be shooting you can just come over to Sumterville and then ride down and back with me and whomever else is going on that day. flsarge lives in Inverness, Roger is in Webster, BamBam is from Crystal River, and another friend is from Wildwood.

The cost for non members is $15 for the whole day and that includes eyes and ears, targets, target stands, staplers, shooting rests, and use of the clubhouse with refreshments and rest rooms. Anyone under 18 shoots for free.

The entire range is closed for maintenance on Thursdays.

The range is spotless and very well maintained. There is a minimum of 2 range officers on duty at all times. There are 10 pistol lanes and 10 rifle lanes. The pistol side has target stands at 33 feet, 50 feet, and 75 feet.

The rifle side has target stands at 50 and 100 yards.

All shooting stands are on concrete under cover (lots of shade) with fans and plexiglass panels to protect each shooter from others flying brass.

Looking forward to meeting you...

Don

P/S... here is the range website...

http://www.dcrgc.us/index.html

Last edited by BangBang; 09-23-2010, 07:16 PM.

Comment

That is the problem with the Ocala range, no ROs. I guess it can sound appealing, as you have more leeway to do as you will, but as you say, too many people there who do not follow the rules. Spent a lot of time there when I was attending UF in G'ville, but we always went in groups, and we always left at least one guy behind to watch our stuff and watch the yahoos. Come on down to Dade City range with us, the ROs run a safe range, but are never unfriendly.

Join the NRA: http://membership.nrahq.org/default....ignid=XR028304

Contact your representatives: http://nraila.org/get-involved-local...your-reps.aspx

Comment

Dade City is a great range and safe too! I was at the public range in the forest once years ago what a zoo just a free for all!!

Comment

Originally posted by flsarge View Post
                  Dade City is a great range and safe too! I was at the public range in the forest once years ago what a zoo just a free for all!!
                  It does sound very nice. Though a bit too far from me, unfortunately (assuming it's about as far from Leesburg as Ocala).

Comment

I live where I-75 and the Turnpike come together... it takes me about 40 minutes to get to the range.

Don

Comment

I didn't even know there was a range in the forest. It looks like I haven't missed anything good.

Kenny
                      "I remain steadfastly opposed to gun control. We don't solve societal problems by abolishing liberty."

Comment

The range isn't all bad. Like I said, spent a lot of time there. Just realize going in that there are no ROs and you have to be much more aware of other shooters. FWC does stop in here and there to check on things, and if you see anyone violating the rules, call them immediately. The range is a full 100 yards, and they have a shot gun range as well.

Join the NRA: http://membership.nrahq.org/default....ignid=XR028304

Contact your representatives: http://nraila.org/get-involved-local...your-reps.aspx

Comment

I would be game if several of us could get together for a meet out there. would have to be on a weekend though. saturday afternoon or sunday.
                          I figure theres saftey in numbers

Comment

I've never been comfortable with busy public ranges with no range officer. It's simply too dangerous. On the other hand, one of the things you mentioned is that one of the shooters had a load, holstered pistol. I do the same on any public ranges. There have been killings on ranges for the purpose of robbery. I do not care to give up my right to self defense just because I happen to be at a range. If there are several of us we also don't all go down range at the same time. Sorry, but I might be one of those people you worry about, but on the other hand there's no telling who to ones I'm worried about are. I agree with keeping your paws off of the weapons on the line and that they should be open and empty, that's basic safety, but my Glock stays on my hip, and loaded, unless I'm on a private controlled access range.

John
                            I will not lay down.
                            I WILL, however, assume a prone firing position if necessary!

Comment

There are currently 60 users online. 3 members and 57 guests.

Most users ever online was 342 at 11:57 PM on 10-11-2015.

Working...
                            X