Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!
Learn more about the Taurus firearms here!
Learn more about Heritage Manufacturing here!Learn more about the Rossi firearms here!
Visit Target Sports USA!Visit Stainless Steel Guide Rods!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First trip to Ocala NF range.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First trip to Ocala NF range.

What better excuse to use for a trip to a range ? Well I can be outside for that eclipse everyone was so excited about ... even though I was more focused on putting rounds on target.

A free and public range up to 100 yards and pretty busy at that. First time going there and wasn't sure what to expect but Florida doesn't fail to surprise me with all the friendly people there just trying to enjoy a day at the range.

The only down side to this range is some people take huge targets or bottles and jugs which they leave behind completely shredded. I guess that's the down side of unsupervised people just leave a mess behind.

Everything was going great and then my scope ring came loose and tilted which just destroyed my perfect day and I didn't bring the right tools to fix it. However I will be heading back to the Ocala range sometime soon.

Be careful at those ranges, it is not uncommon to have guns stolen while you are downrange changing targets... Also, I always have a set of allen wrenches (both SAE and metric) and Torx wrenches in my range box.
    Where do you live? You're welcome to come up to my range with me sometime. I live in Trenton.
    Go, Trump, Go!

Comment

Well **** ,didn't think people would have the balls to try steal at a gun range .... I live in mount Dora over 2 hours from Trenton sadly. Most likely going to attend a meeting for the eustis gun club next month and see how that goes since it's pretty close.

Currently about to get a Ruger precision in 6.5c so I'll eventually be doing some long traveling for the bigger ranges in Florida. Trying to get back into long range shooting, longest shot I made was 1200 meters ( roughly 3/4 mile)but those were in my army days. Just trying to get back into all. Florida is just an amazing gun friendly place and I love it here.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerz88 View Post
        Well **** ,didn't think people would have the balls to try steal at a gun range .... I live in mount Dora over 2 hours from Trenton sadly. Most likely going to attend a meeting for the eustis gun club next month and see how that goes since it's pretty close.

Currently about to get a Ruger precision in 6.5c so I'll eventually be doing some long traveling for the bigger ranges in Florida. Trying to get back into long range shooting, longest shot I made was 1200 meters ( roughly 3/4 mile)but those were in my army days. Just trying to get back into all. Florida is just an amazing gun friendly place and I love it here.
        There's a place in Lake Butler called Shadd Farms, I am told it is a great place to shoot out to 1k yards. Only $20/day. If you decide to go there, I'll meet you there. Also Bradford Sportsmen's Farm goes to 1k.
        Go, Trump, Go!

Comment

Theft has been going on for a LONG time and safety is fairly non-existent which is why after my first trip there over 13 years ago, I have not been back. There are other, safer places to go. Bradford Sportsman Farm is outside of Gainesville and they have 300 and 850 rifle ranges, 2 sporting clay courses, 2 five stands and a pistol range.

Comment

Theft at a Range , wow ... just wow . I can't imagine someone trying to steal one of my firearms while I'm messing with targets. Sounds very dangerous. I'm actually heading towards The Gun Shop later by the villages to check out some inventory. I've done tons of research and prettt much got my mind set on a rifle. Next is a scope , I'm pretty set on a Vortex scope because of there veteran discounts and lifetime warranty. I can't imagine someone picking up anothers firearm costing more then $2,000 and trying to take it. God rest there soul if I catch them in the act.

Also being new to Florida I wanted a bolt action most likely going to be 308 and start getting into hunting. Which seems hectic because I know 0 , zilch, nada , about hunting. I know how to shoot and how to place shots where they need to be.
            yet I've never been hunting or how to even go about getting started. I've read up that for hogs it's pretty much finding land and getting permission from landowner. I'm going to get a hunting license mostly because I'll want to go for deer eventually. Hopefully someone here had some guidance or can point me in a good direction to get started in this new venture.

Comment

Florida has public land to hunt on - for you and a few million of your new found friends. Unlike the West where I learned to hunt on open BLM and USFS land, here you are better off joining a hunt club

Comment

A hunting club ? Didn't Know that was a thing, guessing it's like a gun club but dedicated to hunting ? Any recommendations for someone in central Florida ?

Comment

You;ll need to determine a few things - what you want to hunt, how far to drive, and how much to spend. I knew a few guys who had leases/club memberships in several places encompassing FL, GA and SC. I just never got the whole "food plot/sit in a tree" thing after learning to hunt out West where you had to go after them... ;)

Local hardware/gun shops usually have good leads in the smaller communities.

Comment

I want to go hog hunting , seems everyone's doing it on private land and paying hundreds for it and even some places thousands. I'm trying to spend at least as possible and willing to travel pretty far instate for a fun experience. Yeah I think tree stands can be different and not the tracking experience I'm looking for although not opposed to it .

Comment

Check out Tiger Island Outfitters, near Cedar Key.

http://www.tigerislandhoghunts.com/
                      Go, Trump, Go!

Comment

Definitely going to check that place out , prices are pretty good in comparison to some places I've seen. Thanks GSPKurt appreciate the info and after this hurricane passes or misses us I will be giving them a call.

Comment

• GSPKurt
                          GSPKurt commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Let me know, I may join you. They're in my backyard.

There are currently 86 users online. 0 members and 86 guests.

Most users ever online was 769 at 10:54 AM on 04-13-2016.

Working...
                      X