Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!
Learn more about the Taurus firearms here!Learn more about the Diamondback Firearms here!
Learn more about Heritage Manufactoring here!Learn more about the Rossi firearms here!
Visit Target Sports USA!Visit Stainless Steel Guide Rods!

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Consider this an official notice.Posting articles from other sites is fine if you follow 2 simple rules:1) Only post a small summary of the article.2) Include a link to the original content with summary.Failure to comply with the above will result in a warning. Repeated violations will result in you being banned.These days more and more original content is being placed directly on websites. In order to combat copyright protection and maintain ownership of content, sites are employing people to hunt down unauthorized repost and contacting those sites with warnings. Posting someone else's content harms them in several ways, most of all the circumventing of their sites and thus the loss of traffic. This is becoming more serious of an offense across the internet and lawsuits are becoming common. Understanding the simple rules posted above will not only help this site, but also those who are creating content. It will also keep you from being sued as this site is a 3rd party engine, meaning YOU are responsible for the copyright violation, not us. We will always abide by author requests to remove content.
See more
See less

Clamming in Florida

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clamming in Florida

One of the fun things to do in Oregon is to go Clamming in the Ocean. At low tide certain times per year. Lots of varieties of clams and oysters here. They use a device that sucks them into a tube and you pull it up and out of the sand and retrieve your clams.

Never did any clamming in Florida so don't know if they even exist. I know all about Conchs and the chowder that is made from the big foot that extends out.

Florida have clams??
    Last edited by sig232; 06-25-2013, 09:56 AM.

I don't know, but I have dug for sand dollars at Ft. Myers.
    The Big Kahuna

God Bless America

Comment

I used to clam on Long Island, NY for a living when I was young too. There is a clam company in Cedar Key. I went there and saw the operation they have. They put seed clams in a large net and plant it out in the gulf. After several months they go back and retrieve it and the clams have grown to size they can sell. They ship all over Florida and I believe to other southern states. I'm not sure if you can go clamming for recreational or not. The way Florida is with the laws probably have to buy a special license to go.

Comment

Yup, lots of aquaculture leases and professionals, bigish industry. Very different methods used to collect than up north. I used to tread water in waist to chest high water and use my feet to find them. Also used a clam rake but with all of the new(okay last 25 yrs) sea grass laws make sure to check local laws and regs carefully as to what and where. You do not want a citation for destoying sea gra$$. Also be careful of stingrays, they eat them and tend to hang out in those areas. Do the stingray shuffle.

Comment

Yep, we have clams... but here in my area, scallop season is a BIG deal. The season starts July 1 and continues to Sept. 24.

Comment

there used to be a wild clam fishery in the Gulf around Marco Island. it died off as the pollution got worse from over development. we used to camp on the beach at Marco and wade out and fish & dig for clams when I was a kid. now you have to pay to see the water there. there are plenty of oyster bars and bay scallops near where you are re-locating Sig232. I'm not sure of the recreational liscense requirements but nothing is free in Fla.
            peace through superior firepower

Comment

You have to have a license in Oregon too and a shellfish tag. Tag for salmon, steelhead and Sturgeon. A fishing license does not buy you much anymore since you pay additional fees in the form of tags for most of the good stuff. Big revenue and control for the state. I think the Sturgeon season was only open for a day or two last year in the Willamette River near my place. What a mob scene that was, boats on top of boats.

Comment

Did a little clamming when I lived on the south shore of Long Island.

I recall treading for clams at Long Point park near Sebastian. Heated them up on a Haibachi, a little hot sauce & dinner was served.
                Shortly after someone told me to be careful. Only harvest during months ending with "R". Cooler weather, I reckon.
                Are you sure this thing's not loaded?......

Comment

Warm water increases the risk of Vibrio infection from shellfish eaten raw. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrio_vulnificus
                  YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

Comment

Sig232.... forget all that claming there's much better stuff to do like tarpon fishing,snook fishing and even getting tight on jacks. Lots of good fresh water fishing also.. Lots of red fish on the west coast

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                    Working...
                    X