Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!

Visit Standard Mfg. Co. LLC!Visit Target Sports USA!Learn more about Florida Gun Exchange here!See Remora holsters here!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deep Dropping In The Florida Keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep Dropping In The Florida Keys

Hi all, my fav winter fishing is deep dropping. My wife and I fish about 800 feet on the bottom for Snowy Grouper, Tile Fish and Rose Fish. Here's a pic of my wife with her 55 pound Snowy she picked off the bottom about a month ago and a pic of our typical haul per trip out.

2013-12-03 14.39.15.jpg 2014-01-27 16.23.49.jpg The catch includes all three species and all are delicious!

WOW! The lady sure has a whopper there. Love a good Groper grilled with lemon....
    The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his/her rifle.

Comment

It is a delicious fish. The Snowy is the best tasting grouper out ere in my opinion. Coming from so deep they have more fat in their flesh like other cold water fish. I like to bake it with ground hot and spicy pork rinds on top, butter and lemon. Another great way is to wrap large chunks in cheese cloth and boil in your favorite cajun crab boil seasoning. Serve with melted butter as you would crab. YUM!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have fished the bottom of the channel in Tampa Bay and pulled some nice groupers out of there. I even got a 44" Cobia down there one day. Cobia is some Good eating to me.

"If guns cause crime, all mine are defective." ~ Ted Nugent

Comment

I've done a ton of Tampa area fishing and diving. Mostly red grouper in your area. YES cobia is an excellent eating fish. I miss Snook fishing, none going on down here :(

Comment

Grouper is just one of my many favorites..... yum.

Comment

Wow..., looks like your living the good life down in the keys.
              Love fresh grouper. Never sure if I'm actually getting in the resturants.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed308 View Post
                Love fresh grouper. Never sure if I'm actually getting in the resturants.
                10-1 you are. Florida is pretty aggressive on restaurants for this. Besides, it's usually the importers and wholesalers who are mislabeling it. If you're ever in Naples, Flori9da, look up Grouper and Chips. Best grouper sandwiches in the country.

Jeff

Comment

Just hearing 800 feet of water is impressive. I was out 30 miles in the Gulf last week. We were in 100 feet of water.

Dave
                  CERTIFIED GLOCK ARMORER
                  1911 TRIGGER WORK

Comment

Oh I remember. I used to live in Apollo Beach and it was a 50 mile round trip from my house to get into 55 feet of water!

Comment

We put on over 100 miles that day zigzagging out and zigzagging back.

Dave
                      CERTIFIED GLOCK ARMORER
                      1911 TRIGGER WORK

Comment

There are currently 95 users online. 1 members and 94 guests.

Most users ever online was 769 at 10:54 AM on 04-13-2016.

Working...
                      X