Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!
Learn more about the Taurus firearms here!Learn more about the Diamondback Firearms here!
Learn more about Heritage Manufactoring here!Learn more about the Rossi firearms here!
Visit Target Sports USA!Visit Stainless Steel Guide Rods!

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Consider this an official notice.Posting articles from other sites is fine if you follow 2 simple rules:1) Only post a small summary of the article.2) Include a link to the original content with summary.Failure to comply with the above will result in a warning. Repeated violations will result in you being banned.These days more and more original content is being placed directly on websites. In order to combat copyright protection and maintain ownership of content, sites are employing people to hunt down unauthorized repost and contacting those sites with warnings. Posting someone else's content harms them in several ways, most of all the circumventing of their sites and thus the loss of traffic. This is becoming more serious of an offense across the internet and lawsuits are becoming common. Understanding the simple rules posted above will not only help this site, but also those who are creating content. It will also keep you from being sued as this site is a 3rd party engine, meaning YOU are responsible for the copyright violation, not us. We will always abide by author requests to remove content.
See more
See less

new sights on a springfield gi 1911

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new sights on a springfield gi 1911

Hi all,

alright, so i'm thinking about tuning up my Springfield GI 1911 standard issue and putting some new sights, a trigger, and maybe a mag well to help me out in IDPA shoots.

I was wondering how easy it is (or how to exactly) take off my old sights and replace them myself. here's what the gun looks like now:
    http://sgcusa.com/images/large/SA_1911_ ... 08LP_A.jpg

I see the rear sight is dovetailed, so that should be easy enough to do, (shouldn't it?). i really like the rear sight to look like
    http://www.theshootersbox.com/store/ima ... 108282.jpg
    and have a fiber optic front site installed. I have no idea how that front site removal/replacement would work. I was wondering if it's as simple as putting in new parts or would I have to really machine stuff to make it work? I don't want to have to refinish the whole gun.

Also, can i drop in a target type trigger like: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=777797
    will that help the trigger or just make it look better? I would love a 3.5 pound or less, smooth trigger.

so is all this stuff possible for a relative novice? Or am I better off with somebody that knows what they are doing and have them do it right? if so, do you know one around the daytona beach area?

Thanks,
    Steve

Re: new sights on a springfield gi 1911

I owned a Mil-spec model and had similar plans for it. I quickly realized selling it and buying an SA loaded was a better option.

The sights you suggest are sold by Novak. They quoted me ~ $300 for sights and labor. They would have to mill the slide for the front sight.

Kings Gun Works http://www.kingsgunworks.com/ sells larger sights that would fit your gun. They do not have fiber optic sights. PLEASE check into the company before dealing with them. Feedback has not been the greatest lately.

Changing out the trigger would do little. All it would add would be overtravel adjustment. Find a local 'smith and have trigger work done. You'd want that done on a Loaded model, as well.

Bottom line is, you will have spent $600 on a $500 gun. When/If you want to sell it, it'll still be worth $500.

Dave
    CERTIFIED GLOCK ARMORER
    1911 TRIGGER WORK

Comment

Good advice, Dave.
      The Big Kahuna

God Bless America

Comment

i called springfield, and they can do sights for 200 and a trigger for 80 or so. it's looking like i'd be better off selling, but i'm still not convinced. anyone know where i can get a staked in fiber optic front site with medium tenon (whatever the **** that is)?

Comment

Here's a beautiful example of what I suggest you don't do; http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.p ... ost5654377

This gun is gorgeous but, it's a $1000 - $500 gun.

Dave
          CERTIFIED GLOCK ARMORER
          1911 TRIGGER WORK

Comment

Im in the same boat, I love my SA GI but wanted to do a couple things to it. But just decided to leave it as is as it would not be worth it, ill just save for a loaded version.
            "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future."
            Adolf Hitler, 1935

Comment

that's what I ended up doing. traded the GI on a kimber TLE II and i'm never looking back.

Comment

Brownell's lists a .125 tenon fiber optic front and rear set:
                http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2686 ... _SIGHT_SET

And I'm sure there are plenty of videos around them internets where you could find instructions on improving a 1911 trigger that are within the skill level of the home gunsmith.
                NRA Certified Instructor.

Comment

hey man, thanks for the post... but see above. I traded that GI in for a kimber TLE II and it came with perfect sites and a super nice trigger. it was actually cheaper than upgrading mine.

Comment

Ummm, I knew that. I was just testing you.
                    NRA Certified Instructor.

Comment

Go here under troubleshooting&Gunsmithing, replacing sights and trigger job can be done by you with some researching.

http://forums.1911forum.com/index.php
                      Last edited by kat1950; 08-30-2010, 02:38 PM.
                      When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty.
                      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                      Working...
                      X