Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!
Learn more about the Taurus firearms here!
Learn more about Heritage Manufacturing here!Learn more about the Rossi firearms here!
Visit Target Sports USA!Visit Stainless Steel Guide Rods!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Orlando Cerakote" - avoid at all cost

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Orlando Cerakote" - avoid at all cost

I took an AR there, with very little notice on exactly what I was getting into. Let's just say, I mostly regret it.

The website is run by a complete ***** of a kid who doesn't know anything about guns. ****, he barely knows anything about cerakote. He's taking a cut from a guy that runs a motorcycle powdercoating shop who does mostly powdercoating work. The guy doing the work is a talented guy, but he's no gunsmith. For this reason they expect you to do all the work. Any simple part or screw that's not fully disasembled will get coated over.

Hence, the kid owning the shop blames the customer for anything related to the gun. In this case, the only part of the rifle I accidentaly left assembled was the castle nut screwed a few theads onto the buffer tube. They coated right over it without even bothering to unswcrew it, and then he blamed me for it.

They also coated half of the parts with a "Magpul FDE" color that doesn't even match Magpul parts, and blamed me for it. On further review, him (the supposed cerakote professional) should know that Magpul FDE is the color of the Masada/ACR, and not the polymer accessories. The actual color match is the standard FDE color. (again, I was somehow supposed to know this).

I took it back a third time to fix the coating on some pins, and they somehow, again, after telling them 50 times, coated it in the wrong color. After that I just said "f it" and cut my losses.

You can tell you're dealing with a bad shop when they won't do $20 worth of work to fix a $200 job. All this kid cares about is cash, not helping the customer. The child that runs the site is scamming people and taking their money for subquality work, and he'll flat out curse at you and rage violently if you have an issue.

Avoid Orlando Cerakote. That's it.
    Last edited by Undeadinfidel; 04-24-2013, 12:43 PM.

Not really worthless, but I would like to see just how bad it is...

Comment

Originally posted by CaptCraig View Post

Not really worthless, but I would like to see just how bad it is...
      Like I said, the guy doing the Cerakote (not the Orlando Cerakote owner) does good coating work, but he knows nothing about guns. It's pretty bad when you take it to a place and they don't even know what a castle nut is.

The gun ended up looking good, albeit with uncoated pins. I had to take sandpaper to the reciever to get parts to fit together, because he wasn't sure of how an AR15 was even assembled.

The problem ultimately I had was with the owner (child) running the website. He took no responsibility or anything, and didn't understand that calling me "the customer" a liar, expletive names, and basically saying I was scamming him simply because I wanted to correct color. The moment I contacted him (he won't post his phone number publicly), he was immediately on the defensive and assumed I was trying to eat into his profits. If that kind of treatment is acceptable or any business owner, let me know.

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up. I was considering them for my first Cerakote project. This review if from over a year ago. Does it still hold up or has there been any improvement in ability?
        Man... I am all full of sarcasm. I should chill and find a quiet place to lay down.

Oh wait. I will when I'm done.

Comment

Originally posted by Frgood View Post
          Thanks for the heads-up. I was considering them for my first Cerakote project. This review if from over a year ago. Does it still hold up or has there been any improvement in ability?
          Fred, there is a guy in Weeki Wachee that does superb Cerakote work. He used to be a sponsor here, and I give him my highest endorsement. His name is Mitch. PM me if you want his number.
          Go, Trump, Go!

Comment

Originally posted by GSPKurt View Post

Fred, there is a guy in Weeki Wachee that does superb Cerakote work. He used to be a sponsor here, and I give him my highest endorsement. His name is Mitch. PM me if you want his number.
            Thanks for the lead. I will reach out to him shortly.
            Man... I am all full of sarcasm. I should chill and find a quiet place to lay down.

Oh wait. I will when I'm done.

Comment

Originally posted by GSPKurt View Post

I've never had anything Cerakoted but I have purchased a few guns from Mitch and I can vouch for his integrity. He's a stand up guy.
              "A wise man, intending to speak, first carefully considers what he is to say, and to whom he is to say it; also where and at what time. There is therefore such a thing as due measure in keeping silence and also in speaking; there is also such a thing as a due measure in what we do. It is a glorious thing to maintain the right standard of duty." - Saint Ambrose, Bishop of Milan (340-397)

Proud to be a member of the NRA

Comment

There are currently 71 users online. 1 members and 70 guests.

Most users ever online was 769 at 10:54 AM on 04-13-2016.

Working...
              X