Welcome to the Florida Gun Forum!
Learn more about the Taurus firearms here!
Learn more about Heritage Manufacturing here!Learn more about the Rossi firearms here!
Visit Target Sports USA!Visit Stainless Steel Guide Rods!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Armed Civilians Donít Train the Way They Fight, But They Will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armed Civilians Donít Train the Way They Fight, But They Will

When it comes to self-defense, there is always a trade-off between realism and safety. We donít train the way we want to fight. That may change as technology goes up and prices come down to let civilians afford more realism in their self-defense training. For a long time we set aside realism as we made training safer. This affects even the new student who is working on basic skills. This may be true now, but it is changing for the better each day.

Step away from the studentís perspective for a minute. The instructor wants to see exactly what the student is doing. As an instructor, how will you make sure your student is safe as he presents a loaded handgun to a target from inside a concealment garment? Out of sight isnít necessarily safe, and weíve been talking about carrying in the conventional position on the strongside hip where the instructor can have a good view. Some carry positions are harder for the instructor to see.

Today we have appendix carry where the gun is holstered between the hip and midline. We have purse carry where holster is carried in an external bag. Add in pocket carry and carrying in a bellyband under tight clothing. Now you see the routine risks we face in training to present a firearm. Even the customary carry position behind the hip can be a concern when you cant the gun to get a better grip angle. From these positions, either the student or people standing nearby can be swept by the muzzle unless the student is already skilled and consistent. Those are the routine problems instructors deal with today.

Iím not arguing against those carry positions. Iím simply pointing out the difficulties of providing good instruction..and we havenít gotten the gun up and on target yet. How can we train so a student safely acquires the skills he needs? One problem comes from the fact that we are training with firearms and that poses an inherent risk. Avoiding that risk and not training brings its own risks as well. We are slowly developing alternatives.

https://slowfacts.wordpress.com/2017...but-they-will/
    Why do I carry? Somebody else will pick the day I need my gun, not me.

I took what was called an Advanced Concealed Carry course at The Police Hall of Fame Shooting Center in Titusville Florida. It was A LOT OF FUN but I think it could have included information about different methods of concealed carry and the advantages and disadvantages of each method of concealed carry. It was only the second time they had held the course and they were asking for input so by now they may have added something like that by now. During the course only two of us actually carried concealed. I have chosen IWB on my hip to carry my 1911 and pocket carry for my BUG. I purchased IWB magazine carrier but after using it for a while decided I it was bulkier than needed to just carry two extra magazines. I have changed to an on belt carry for the extra magazines. To me, the IWB holster and pocket carry provided the fastest access to my firearms. I found an IPSC Shot Timer app for my phone and the sensitivity can be set low enough that it will pick up the sound from my 1911 dry fire. I use it to practice drawing from concealment. Hit Start on the app and at a random time a beep will sound and the timer will start and it will record the time of any sound above the set sensitivity level. My normal time for drawing from concealment and firing on target is 1.2 seconds. And I practice often.
    Sense, Courtesy, Decency-
    What ever happened to common?
    ----------------------------------

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Comment

Your average local range isn't much help, either. Most of them won't allow any SD, weak hand, or
      one hand drills. So the problem doesn't just lie with the individual.

Comment

There are currently 102 users online. 0 members and 102 guests.

Most users ever online was 769 at 10:54 AM on 04-13-2016.

Working...
      X